Ideaverse for Obsidian (formerly the LYT Kit) now available!

“Linking Your Thinking” (which is what the IMF has been doing). The LYT system uses links to provide a framework for your notes. The versioning will continue. So the next version will the LYT Kit v4.

7 Likes

Thank you @nickmilo for blowing my mind and keeping me up at night thinking :upside_down_face: Having looked at Obsidian a few days ago after a member of Official Oxygen User Group declared he was putting all his code in Obsidian, I can see it can be more than a snippet repository, but it has the potential to change the world. Just thinking how efficient the whole planet would be if we only took notes and linked our ideas. That just gives me goose bumps. I believe Obsidian will change the world!

Do you have a glossary of acronyms? For example, IMF.

As I am just getting started, is there a basic document to help me decide which system to start out with and the pros and cons of going with each?

I will become a supporter on my next web site. btw, your dark theme web site works for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have a look at this interview today to stay up at night again. :wink:

5 Likes

For 81 years this man has amazing energy and lucid thinking. I watched the interview , plus a bunch of his other videos, and see he coined the terms “transclusion, virtuality, and intertwingularity”, some of which I see used here.

I found this history of Xanadu.

Does a glossary of these terms exist?

3 Likes

@nickmilo Any updates on when LYT will be available? I’m finally getting around to organizing my notes and, while IMF v3 is great, I would love to use the latest and greatest thinking!

5 Likes

Hey thanks for your interest. I’m guessing it’ll be out in two weeks, with some tutorial videos as well

13 Likes

Looking forward to it!

1 Like

Minor suggestion: switch from Dewey Decimal to Universal Decimal Classification in 040 Interests. Here’s a good writeup of it (part of a series of writings and thoughtful discussions on knowledge classification)

There’s minimal differences at the top-level, but there’s other differences that people would probably benefit from knowing about (even if its just that there are many classification systems!) as you get deeper into it.

5 Likes

Hmm…I’m very open to it and it would only take a couple minutes to switch…let me see what that would look like

There’s little difference for the top-level groups, so it doesn’t much matter. But perhaps just give links to wikipedia pages or those excellent writeups on reddit so that people can explore themselves if they care to?

I’m glad to have come across this MOC though - using a Decimal-like system is something I grappled with for a while prior to discovering networked notetaking apps but never found a satisfactory solution given the rigidity of my tools. I see no reason why I couldn’t easily implement it with MOCs!

Wow what an eyeopener. Certainly the last sentences of the interview about "his paranoia and how he sees it to be cured by the World recognising he is/was right all the time…

3 Likes

You gotta have a certain general appreciation for people - especially those who are creating things, rather than just some bigot - who take a stand and say “no, I’m right and you’re all wrong”. Often they’re wrong, but its worth finding out.

1 Like

Not such a positive story when you read this…

“A dream will not become an innovation if there is no realization.“
Ciputra

or
"Innovation without Execution is only Ideation"
Thobias Puehse

The last is a quote I use in my mails at work by the way. These are sparks of text that came to emerge when I read the text…

What’s wrong with ideation? Da Vinci came up with endless unexecuted inventions, but was ahead of his time. Perhaps Ted Nelson’s ideas were too technologically advanced (or, more likely, incompatible with the technological trends) to be executed.

But it seems that he has provided endless inspiration to many people who were able to execute, be it Steve Wozniak or, likely, Roam Research (which really seems to be what he was aiming at).

Moreover, is all Executed Innovation worthwhile - Fracking, WMDs or [insert mostly any boy band], for example?

Perhaps there’s need for a quote to the effect of “Innovation without Wisdom is Folly”?

4 Likes

I think this is getting off-topic, but I can’t resist. My master’s research focused on innovation (specifically what skills are required to be successful at innovation, and what it might look like to build a curriculum around such skills).

Through the research, I came up with the following definition for innovation:

An innovation is a change that creates new value or improves the delivery or capture of value.

Innovations exist in many forms, from product to social movement; at many scales, from new-to-you to new-to-the-world; and in many degrees, from radical to incremental. The success of one innovation often requires the success of others in parallel.

Innovation often results in new knowledge, relationships, and spin-off innovations.

…and the following process model:

To @nixsee’s point about bad innovations, a related idea is “misinnovation:” changes that actually result in lost “value.” (Note: obviously, there may be many ways of defining value.) I never had the chance to develop that idea further… maybe someday!

To try and wrench this back to being relevant to personal knowledge management (PKM), I haven’t looked at the work in a while. Now that I have, the process actually seems to map to how knowledge is developed in a PKM system. Some prompt, finding, or new idea inspires you to start to develop thinking (purpose/problem), so you generate and sift through your knowledge in order to select the ideas to build upon, before you then implement the knowledge you’ve built somehow. Hm!

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Seems like a reasonable way to model it all. The fundamental question, though, is “what is valuable?”. I won’t derail this thread as inadvertently and very regrettably happened in the MOC one, but I’ll just share this PKM-friendly graphic that I shared there:

Value is what allows us to turn an otherwise generic, but perhaps connected, Knowledge dot into a golden dot of Insight. Wisdom would be cultivating the ability to curate/refine the insights into a tangible way of operating (innovating? executing?) in the world.

The suggestion, therefore, is to focus on refinement, coherence, harmony, wisdom, etc… rather than an ever growing network of meaningless notes. I think the IMF/MOC system has a lot to offer in that regard - the development of MOCs into related evergreen-type notes has the potential to be akin to those Golden Paths of wisdom.

The key, however, is understanding which insights/topics are actually valuable/worth pursuing - surely many MOCs were involved in creating “misinnovations”, such as WMDs… For this, humility is in order, above all else - being able to consider whether your insights, much less pursuits, are actually worthwhile.

I’d suggest Harmony as a driving metric - the world is a massive interconnected network map of network maps. For something to be valuable, the individual maps must be in harmony rather than dissonance with the others.

I might even suggest a “Harmony filter” right after the initial Prompt in your diagram - “if Harmonious then proceed” with your Golden search, development etc… process. If not, color it Red and find something else to think about.

10 Likes

Edit: moved my post on this to the more appropriate thread:

2 Likes

Was about to edit my post with a link and suggest that you move it! We’re clearly “in sync”, which is surely more valuable and harmonious than the innovation of “'N Sync” :wink:

All other value/innovation discussion, please move to the other thread!

1 Like

Can’t resist adding a comment from Elon Musk from 2 days ago, in response to a criticism of his new Neuralink demo:

It is unfortunately common for many in academia to overweight the value of ideas & underweight bringing them to fruition. For example, the idea of going to the moon is trivial, but going to the moon is hard.

I work in a field where bringing things to fruition is how we get paid. I’m hoping that Obsidian will help with that process, and have been loving it so far!

7 Likes

Exactly my thought!
I listened to the interview with the girl that was mentioned in a thread.
Then I did some research on Ted Nelson…
Whatever good ideas he brought on and whatever people he inspired. With all due respect (and that is meant): would be nice if after 30+ years and with advances in technology we would have a good idea of a working Xanadoo system. From what I read (find) this isn’t the case (yet). Nevertheless, very inspiring man!