Ideaverse for Obsidian (formerly the LYT Kit) now available!

Thank you so much for sharing you’re knowledge @nickmilo. Since I start using this method everything it’s more simple about note taking, but I have some question about it.

If i well undestand, you use daily note for taking track about what you read/watch/thing/etc in a day. Along time you evolve the concepts and create a folder that containt other similar note for working on it (incubation folder) and ,finaly, you make a evergreen note. Why not create directly a note about one concept without insert it in a daily note considering that maybe you’ll modify or delete it for doing a permanent note? At this purpouse, when you create a permanent note then you’ll delete the original note or you keep it? I trouble about that because when i take note from somewhere, a podcast for example, I want to keep the podcast note intact without adding thoughts from other sources but surely for do a evergreen note I need to extrapolate that concept and mix with other knowledge. I have some difficult to solve this problem at the moment.
Thank you so much for the patient and sorry if I make some error in the writing.

I use a very similar workflow so I can perhaps add my input to this. The one reason I write everything first in my daily note (about a movie, video, podcast, article, book, etc.) is because,

1. It’s more of a personal opinion since it’s in my daily journal as opposed to an idea.
  2. Writing it in the daily note first allows one to be quick with a lot of these one line notes or sometimes even just a few keywords which we can come back to later to process and create into more meaningful notes. And since they’d be linked from here, the new processed note has a link to the date when I had the original thought along with the source of inspiration.
7 Likes

Regarding your point 1: perhaps an idea is not an opinion (though it could enclose one), it is just as personal as an idea. :wink:

Sure. What I’m trying to say is that an idea can be personal at its point of origin but it’s more universal than my opinion about something. Allow me to offer an example,

That film/book expresses the idea that _Less is more_ in a way I've never seen before. It's quite clever!

That’s close to something that might go in my daily notes as my opinion both about the film/book and/or about the idea itself. Exploration of the idea Less is more further would be different. Even if it still is a personal expression of the idea, there’s always an attempt to remove any subjectivity as far as possible. Another way to look at this is– would we consider an author talking about Less is more his personal opinion or his idea? My guess would be the latter almost always whereas a movie/book reviewer will almost always offer more of an opinion than an idea.

1 Like

Got it.

2 Likes

Oh, nice! Thanks, @ryanjamurphy. I wasn’t aware of that. It certainly changes the game up for me.

1 Like

@Klaas, I’m curious what it is about this method that you find more impressive than IMF?

I don’t understand your question. Please explain:

1. what you mean by “this method”;
  2. what gives you the impression I find “this method” more impressive than IMF.

I may have misunderstood your comment, but I was referring to:

Just to make myself clear:

Nick’s IMF kit is impressive indeed, and a lot of people seem to find it useful, so I have no quarrels with nor criticisms about it.

lizardmenfromspace seems to have embarked on a megaproject to explain how to set up a zettelkasten and all the intricacies that (can) go with it. It is also an impressive project.

When I wrote " There is one that’s even more impressive" I meant it in a jocular way, not as a judgment of either of the 2 projects. I certainly did not mean to offend anybody, if I have, I apologise.

3 Likes

Thanks, Klass. My question was sincere since I haven’t used either yet. I have downloaded the IMF files and plan to play with it this weekend.

No problem, I knew you were sincere :smile:

1 Like

Hi everbody,
I am quite new here and I downloaded and played around with both, the ICM from this thread (mentioned as " Nickmilo Obsidian Starter Kit ") and the IMF.

Is the IMF another approach than the ICM? I am trying to get my head around all of the different methodologies mentioned in different threads and it becomes a bit overwhelming right now :smiley:

1 Like

I want to say they are the same thing and IMF in this post is just his more developed version.

1 Like

I’m quite interesting in learning more about this framework. Could you give us more information about the numbering scheme for the maps of content and how it works?

There is a brief explanation of it in the 040 Interests MOC.md note which also serves as a good example of how to use it. You can also read more about it on the wiki Dewey Decimal Classification since it’s pretty standard.

2 Likes

Let there be LYT!

Welcome the new name!

4 Likes

@nickmilo, I’m really interested in this approach. I have a couple of questions. I apologize if they’ve been answered elsewhere, or in the example itself. There’s a lot there to process and think about.

I see that you use the _p prefix for folders associated with projects. Within the _pHabits folder, you have a number of different kinds of notes, including evergreen notes and examples. What I am curious about is the fate of a “project” if and when it becomes completed. Would you then move those notes out of the project folder?

If not, is there a distinction between evergreen notes that sit in the root folder, and those that sit in project folders?

As well, what’s the distinction between the 001 Projects folder and 100 Projects MOC? Is it just that the 100 Projects MOC lists completed projects?

Thanks!

What I am curious about is the fate of a “project” if and when it becomes completed. Would you then move those notes out of the project folder?

Yes you’re thinking about it the right way. In fact, that “project” is done. I just kept the folder after the fact to show how a person could use folders for projects.

Now that we can link our thoughts, I have found less of a need for many project folders. But there are still instances where I like to have a siloed folder in the sidebar. Like for a business endeavor for example.

what’s the distinction between the 001 Projects folder and 100 Projects MOC? Is it just that the 100 Projects MOC lists completed projects?

Yes, you’re right. For this version, I wanted to show examples of the flexibility in how a person could use a special note for active projects. (I’m personally not a fan of the double-up, so the 001 Projects note is gone in the upcoming LYT Kit v4)

What does LYT stand for?