Looking for feedback on new tool to export Evernote to Obsidian including tag hierarchy (ExportNote)

I just released an update to my ExportNote Mac App for exporting from Evernote, to include adding Evernote tags to the markdown front matter, so your Evernote tag hierarchy is imported to Obsidian along with your notes.

I’m looking for feedback on what I can do to make it better. Right now I’m sitting in a coffee shop adding support for putting all the Evernote note attributes in the front matter (lat, lon, subject, etc.) if they are set.

Info on how to use it as well as a video demo

All feedback very very welcome. It is a free app, with an in-app purchase if you want to export more than 1000 notes.

I’ve a Windows version too, but I’ve not yet updated it to put tags in the front matter.

3 Likes

I have been using this app and it’s amazing! I never thought that Evernote and Obsidian will ever be able to work together.

I love that the app is actively adding new features and that it’s very reasonably priced.

I think it’s an indispensable tool for those using both Evernote and Obsidian together.

1 Like

Cool app. Just gave it a quick try and some feedback:

• the tags don’t seem to be converted as actual tags. Pretty big feature, so it seems like perhaps I’m missing something? Front matter looks like this to me:
---
tags:
- Food

and the tag in the body they look like this:

Tags: [Food](%2E%2E%2E%2E/tags/Food)

So, Obsidian doesn’t see them as tags.

• Apostrophes come out as character entities, e.g.: #39;

• Some notes have a kind of index appended to the title, e.g. " R_52fd". Not sure where that comes from.

• It would be nice if for the trial either only created 1000 files or marked the converted (or dummy) files somehow. Hard to click through my many files and find converted ones to be able to examine.

Thanks for building this!

This is great feedback, thank you.

Not sure what is happening with your tags … are you using periods (.) in your tag names?

Could you let me know what the tags look like in Evernote. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Damian