Live preview checklist indentation is offset when I navigate to another note and back

will be fixed 0.13.20

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

This is a harder problem than anticipated because the fix impacts other are. We’ll keep things as they are for now.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the update and staying on top of it! Hope to see a fix down the road!

Hey @WhiteNoise, I hope you’ve been well. Checking in on this issue? It’s been persistently getting in the way of what is otherwise an incredible Obsidian experience and I’m hoping there’s a fix in the works. Thank you!

I don’t think this will be prioritized because we don’t believe this is major problem.

1 Like

Ok thank you for the update!

Hi @WhiteNoise — this bug keeps persistently showing up, and in live preview now it’s not some subtle indentation difference but creates large indentations in the second line whenever I navigate to certain notes. It’s completely disrupting my editing process to have the content of each note be unstable and I’m surprised you aren’t viewing this as a more urgent problem especially with all the users who rely on checklists, and also since you’ve reproduced this bug and thus it’s appearing in the software of every new Obsidian user. Is there anything you can do to make this more of a priority? If there was some tweak I could make to the CSS to fix it myself, I would be glad to. Thank you.

1 Like

In case it’s helpful, I just looked into this more and think it has something to do with the way Obsidian renders the live preview mode — these glitchy indentations in checklists seem to go away when I a) check and uncheck the checkbox, b) turn on and off a CSS snippet, c) turn off and on an option in the “editor” section of the settings. And the glitches often show up again when I scroll quickly through a long list of checklist items, when the legacy editor mode shows for a moment before the live preview renders on top of it.

1 Like

We have identified where the problem is but as told in the other post, fixing this without breaking other parts is not easy and you are the only person who has even noticed this issue.

It will get addressed at some point but it’s not a priority, sorry!

1 Like

Ok thank you for your transparency here! I’ve been wondering if it has something to do with my theme (Minimal) & CSS snippets that maybe exacerbates it for me while in standard Obsidian this glitch is less dramatic with a smaller indentation offset. It also seems to be only happening with checkboxes, not bullet points, and seems to be tied to specifically multiple lines of indented, nested checkboxes. Thanks again.

I’ve done a deeper dive on this and found a workaround: in a CSS snippet, manually set the text-indent and padding-left for .HyperMD-list-line-1, .HyperMD-list-line-2, .HyperMD-list-line-3, .HyperMD-list-line-4, .HyperMD-list-line-5, .HyperMD-list-line-6 and potentially further on depending on how nested your notes are, using !important to ensure this is applied. This forced the indentation not to shift as I’ve previously described (I matched the px of my custom CSS to the ordinary indentation before the glitch showed up).

EDIT: After taking a closer look the original bug report above, this appears to be a separate issue, so I’m moving it from here to its own bug report.

Using Obsidian mobile version 1.3.1 and the current public release of the desktop app, I’m still getting weird hanging indents in check boxes like the second one in the attached image, and at least one other user on the Discord confirmed it today. They happen pretty randomly, and though using Minimal’s alternate check boxes particularly seems to trigger them, I get them when not using alternate checkboxes, too. (Kepano says it’s an Obsidian bug, not an issue with the theme.)

Putting my cursor at the beginning of the first word, backspacing to the bracket, and hitting the space bar usually fixes it temporarily, but then they’ll reappear randomly even on bullets that were never checked off and never had alternate checkbox characters inserted.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing — hopefully this will be fixed!

Thank you! After realizing that this is a separate issue from the post above, I moved this to its own bug report. Please feel free to go there and reply to confirm that you’re also experiencing the issue.

1 Like

Let me know if this problem still happens in 0.16.3

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.