Listing all blocks that are linked to the current page and sorting them

Hi,

Is there any way to search and embed the text from all the blocks in my vault that are linked to the current page?

I know I can use the built-in Query function in Obsidian to show all the blocks that have a special tag. However, I don’t how to do this for links [[]].

Also, I was wondering if there is any way to sort the results based on the time those blocks were modified.

Thanks!

1 Like

This post might help u. Use obsidian built in query block with the plugin to help with extra settings like sorting

2 Likes

To search a link, just include the first 2 brackets and the name ("[[Link name"). Leaving off the end brackets allows for aliases. If that picks up other notes whose names start with the note name, you can do the more cumbersome ("[[Link name|" OR "[[Link name"]). If you don’t use aliases, then you can simplify.

You can’t sort embedded searches by default. The Query Control plugin allows it (and also lets you show all results fully expanded by default), but it’s a beta plugin that isn’t in Community Plugins yet. Obsidian Query Language, which is in Community Plugins, might do what you want (I didn’t look closely, but I’m definitely going to check it out for my own use).

2 Likes

Thank you! I downloaded the plugin and it sorts all the notes that I want. However, I was wondering if Obsidian (or any other plugin) can monitor/record the time a block (not the entire note) gets updated.

Cheers!

This is fantastic! It’s exactly what I was looking for! One of the main reasons I was more in favor of using tags (instead of links) was not knowing how to search for the links and their aliases. I write in different languages and sometimes I refer to concepts/people in different languages. Your solution changes the way I can use Obsidian! Thank you!

PS. Do you know how I can automate setting embedded search query parameters based on the title of the note or one of the parameters mentioned in the frontmatter? I use Templater to create some notes for people/projects/companies/meetings. Right now, I have to manually set the query for each note which is not ideal and in long term, it is prone to errors and mistakes. I saw the post below today however, I don’t know how to do this for my use case. Can you please help me with a simple example? Thank you!

2 Likes

I don’t think that is, or will be, possible with Obsidian relying on plain text files. Try only have modification time on the file itself.

To support something like that the software would need to keep track of partial changes, and when that happened. Not normal for most text editing system, unless you start using databases with incremental editing support.

1 Like

I don’t use Templater so can’t help there, but the core Templates variable for the note’s name is {{title}}. In a template, put that in a query where the note’s name would go. (The core Templates plugin doesn’t access frontmatter.)

2 Likes

Yes, I agree with you. Thanks!

Thank you! I tried to combine {{title}} with Templater files and it didn’t work. Will test it with the core template plugin to see how it works. Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.