1. Install latest Obsidian for Linux from *.deb
  2. Configure Obsidian Sync
  3. Get (enable) all your settings, including apperance
  4. Restart your Obdisian

Expected result

To get dark mode with my custom theme.

Actual result

Default theme with light mode.
Manual switch to dark mode didn’t help - after app restart it starts again with light mode (theme seems to preserve).

Environment

• Operating system: Linux Mint 20.3
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v0.14.15
    Installer version: v0.14.15
    Operating system: #136-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 10 13:40:48 UTC 2022 5.4.0-120-generic
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: none
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: Primary
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Safe mode: off
    Plugins installed: 4
    Plugins enabled: 4
    1: System Dark Mode
    2: Style Settings
    3: Natural Language Dates
    4: Quiet Outline

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the help vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the help vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

Theme has been updated. Fresh install of Obdisian on Linux machine. Mac & iOS versions works fine.

Disable third party plugins. Restart obsidian. Does it happen?

All my shortcuts got lost on my Mac app since I migrated to Obsidian Sync =(

Turning off GitHub - kepano/obsidian-system-dark-mode: Automatically use the operating system's setting to switch between light and dark mode. resolves the issue.

I would appreciate some feedback on my next troubleshooting steps and concerning shortcuts lost, if possible?

Follow the steps outlined here: https://help.obsidian.md/Obsidian+Sync/Introduction+to+Obsidian+Sync

If it doesn’t work, open a new bug report, explain your problem and attach screenshots of your sync configuration on all devices.

Thank you, I understand you need more details, but it requires a way too much efforts from me and it doesn’t seem to work good enough; I understand I need to pay with my efforts if it’s free, but considering it’s a highly priced paid service, I would rather consider switching back to iCloud & Syncthing based sync.

Since the theme problem is fixed, what is your problem?

I don’t currently use Sync, and so my general answer likely won’t directly help you, sorry. But in my personal opinion, sync is not a backup. And so to fix missing shortcuts, I would advise copying the vault/.obsidian/hotkeys.json from your backups. If you don’t have backups, I highly recommend starting to keep backups and/or version control snapshots.

I’m not familiar with whether or not Obsidian Sync keeps snapshots of settings files.

1 Like

My problem is that it doesn’t, unfortunately.

But to be more precise:

1. My shortcuts are consistently get lost.
  2. My Linux version doesn’t switch theme automatically.
  3. Sync is not always catching up on go changes done on my iPhone.
  4. Paying $10 for that doesn’t make sense (my load is not that big). Another problem here is the support quality - I get used to Notion.so, ClickUp, etc support - which is friendly and doesn’t require extra effort to get it fixed (if you didn’t try it - please, do - it’s very human and user friendly). I didn’t find any traces where I can get priority e-mail support as well.

So, to summarize - I like the product and would like to support it, but the sync feature doesn’t seems to be a competitive offer for me.

Thank you, I guess I would go back for a non-Sync sync to make sure I control things of importance for me.

Appreciate specific file to take special care of!

the email is [email protected] but they are gonna ask you the same questions.

Linux version not switching themes automatically is known bug.
https://forum.obsidian.md/t/color-scheme-adapt-to-system-not-working-on-linux-fedora-gnome/38743

The rest of your problems is likely some configuration issue, but if you don’t have the patience to go through the settings and the logs with us, we can’t help you.

Thanks.
No problems providing the logs and any files you would ask me for, if that would be enough?

Ok, first attach screenshots of your settings page in both you devices.
Second, change a file in one of your devices and make a screenshot of the sync logs in that device (you can see them by clicking on the sync icon).
Go in the other device, let it sync, and take a screenshot of the sync logs in the other device as well.

Send to support e-mail.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.