We strongly recommend you to search the forum with possible keywords before submitting a new bug report. Please also try your repro steps with third-party plugins and custom CSS disabled and see if it’s still reproducible. If it’s an issue with third-party plugins or themes, try contacting the author for help. Once you’ve done the above, delete this line.
Steps to reproduce
create folder with a non-ascii Unicode character (e.g. ✋, 𡗗 or देव) in folder name
paste an image (jpg or png) in created folder
When clicking on the image, the image should display.
Same when linking the image (![image location]) in a note and opening preview mode.
Here is a recording of the steps as executed in the test vault:
Operating system: Linux KDE neon (kernel 5.15) Flatpak
Obsidian version: v0.15.9
Installer version: v0.15.9
Operating system: #44~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 24 13:27:29 UTC 2022 5.15.0-41-generic
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on
There is an existing bug which has been closed by the reporter even though this was not fixed: Images doesn't display
This bug is not reproducible on Windows, nor a default Ubuntu 22.04 with the Gnome desktop environment. In the link above, the reporter was also using KDE as desktop environment however.
I have only been having this bug in the past month. I am using the Flatpak distribution of the app.
So I tried reproducing it. Made a bunch of vms.
Tested by creating a folder on the desktop called ‘test vaulté’. Downloading the obsidian logo into it. And then dragging the image from inside obsidian’s left panel, to a new note.
( means It worked as intended, not reproduced)
Tested using the flatpak version:
Garuda dr460nized 220822
Manjaro kde 21.3.7-220816 linux 515
EndevourOS artemis neo 22.8
Fedora Silverblue 36.1.5
Native package repo:
AUR (appimage version):
SO, I EVENTUALLY FOUND THE PROBLEM:
In kde plasma I set my region settings here to be Belgium English. And when I did that on my garuda vm, I managed to reproduce the issue
On Gnome you only have 1 setting that controls all format related things.
On KDE Plasma you have granual control. And it seems like the ‘Region’ setting is what’s causing the problem there. Even if you set it to ‘default.UTF-8’ it still causes issues. It has to be set to ‘en_US.UTF-8’.
But this seems to be a more general linux/electron issue, not a distro or desktop enviroment specific thing.
AS A TEST. I fully reinstalled manjaro but select Dutch as my language this time.
Interestingly enough. That works fine. (double-checked, it did automatically set the format settings to nl_BE automatically)
Changing it to American English doesn’t break it.
And changing it back to nl_BE again also doesn’t break it.
@Thibaultmol I could reproduce it! The interface in KDE to change regional settings has changed however, and when I changed the settings to American English, I saw no changes. I had to modify /etc/locale.conf to manually set everything to en_US.UTF-8 to make it work. Thanks for investigating!
If anyone on flatpak is looking for a quick fix for this: Edit the Exec command in ~/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share/applications/md.obsidian.Obsidian.desktop and add an --env=LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 after the run command.
I was a bit surprise that my recent bug could be related to another one opened months ago, because before updating yesterday everything was working fine in my vault which contains a lot of image with non-ascii names. I tried changing my locales and many other things, but the issue was still there… then I decided to uninstall Obsidian from the snapstore and re-install it with the deb package, as it was before. Now the images in my vault show up.
If any one is looking for a quick fix, from my tests: the snap version triggers issue, but not the deb package one.