Linking to a header inserts absolute file path even when "New link format" is set to "shortest path when possible"

I’m using insider v1.1.11, and when I try to link to a header (whether in the same file or a different file) from the autocomplete menu, Obsidian is inserting the full file path. See sequential screenshots below:

This happens even though I have “New link format” set to “Shortest path when possible” in the “Files & Links” settings. The issue persists in a test vault with no themes or community plugins installed.

1 Like

Thanks, I can reproduce in Windows 10 and MacOS in version 1.1.11. In the future, please give more info when posting a bug, including your “Show debug info”. There is a bug template for a reason.

And if you tested in the Sandbox vault, it would have been preferable to screenshot there.

UPDATE: It’s not an OS problem, it seems to be an Obsidian version issue. Updating MacOS to 1.1.11, and now it happens on MacOS (1.1.11) too.

I just tested this. I cannot reproduce this on MacOS. (1.1.9)

And on Windows 10, yes I can reproduce. (1.1.11 tested) - Typing the exact same link expands to absolute format. Even if the setting is Shortest When Possible.

2 Likes

Would be a good idea to drop a link to this in the Discord #insider-desktop channel. :cockroach:

1 Like

Done, thanks.

Liam replied,

thanks, will be fixed in the next build

1 Like

Catch 'em early, they get fixed asap :rofl:

Thanks. I looked in the FAQ for how best to submit bugs reports, but I must not have searched thoroughly enough. Where are the guidelines posted?

No big worries. The bug template should auto fill when you make the topic. It contains all the explanations for info to include.

Thanks! Don’t know how I missed that.

This is fixed in v1.1.12: Obsidian Release v1.1.12

1 Like

Thank you!

The issue still persists for me on v1.1.12 when making block reference, even in a known-good test vault.

Edited to include Debug Info:

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.1.12
Installer version: v0.15.9
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 22.2.0: Fri Nov 11 02:04:44 PST 2022; root:xnu-8792.61.2~4/RELEASE_ARM64_T8103 22.2.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: insider
Insider build toggle: on
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

1 Like

Ok yep, same here. I’ll send a ping to Discord too.

Please try downloading and reinstalling Obsidian. Yours is out of date. The release notes for 1.1.9 explained there was an Electron upgrade. (It won’t help with this, but highly recommended.)

1 Like

That’s always a confusing step for me that I keep forgetting. I click the “check for updates” button regularly, but I can never seem to remember that I have to update the installer separately. Thanks!

Hopefully it should be rare to do.

Looks like this may still be happening in some cases.

Yep, but it’s known, and should be fixed in the next build.

1 Like