Limits on tags?

I’ve already looked in the help guide, sandbox vault, and this forum.

What I’m trying to do

I’m creating a vault for a group of people to contribute to and refer to, but am worried about tags getting out of hand. I’ve seen other shared tools where people create redundant tags or don’t use the right tags that already exist. Duplicate tags defeat the purpose and make it difficult to find information. We’re designing things so that our tags are intuitive and simple, which should help, but is there any way to make things more simple for people?

Ideally, I’m looking for a way to disable non-admin users from writing their own tags, so that when they type the # symbol, they can only select from the list of pre-written tags that comes up. Then if a user really needs a new tag for something, they would just ask an admin to add it.

The only other thing I can think of is to give someone the job of sweeping up after everyone else, but that person would probably be me and I can think of better things to do with my time!

You could use nested tags

#my-tag-list/item1
#my-tag-list/item2
#my-tag-list/item3

The user can still add new tags and therefore it is a matter of your workflow how to handle such a “list” - but you have a “list” to select.

I like to find method to find tags quickly. It is not about tags per se, but categorizing in a simple way and quickly getting in and out of it I think.

You could set up a Templater (plugin) template script that runs on every new note with a pop-up prompt to type the title of the note and select tags from a list of pre-defined tags. The template could add the title, tags, and maybe any yaml front matter you would want (like date of creation, name of the author, and maybe even a second level of tags). With that workflow it wouldn’t really encourage people to add tags manually, and you could even specifically ask them not to. I think it would solve most of your problems.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.