Limit on the number of block references in a file

I have a file (File1) with 261 lines and 57,292 characters. After marking the 29th block reference, I can no longer automatically insert block references from another file (File2.) When I enter ![[filename_reference^]] in File2, the popup window does not show the contents from File1 past the 29th block reference in File1.

The work-around is to create the references manually (I use a GUID generator.)

Using another file (File3) with 166 lines and 66,976 characters but no block references, the popup window for creating the first automatic block reference back to File3 does show the entire contents of File3.

Obsidian version: 0.10.2

This is not a bug.
the pop-ups that appears in [[ are not meant to contain an exhaustive list of all the possible options, they are just auto-completion/search helpers.

Just so I’m clear in my description and that anyone else who encounters this understands it to be a feature…

When seeking to create a block reference to a file that has no existing block references, the popup that displays with [[name_of_file^ will show the entire file and allow the user to select a paragraph and define a new block reference.

When seeking to create a block reference to a file that has existing block references, the popup that displays with [[name_of_file^ may or may not show the entire file and allow the user to select an existing or define a new block reference.

No, there is a limit in both cases.

1 Like