Left sidebar menu (ribbon) doesn't work with Wacom Intuos Pro tablet

Once you’ve done the above, delete everything above this line.

Steps to reproduce

Clicking on the icons in the left sidebar ribbon with a stylus from a Wacom Intuos Pro tablet.

Expected result

I expect Obsidian to activate actions when I click on the icons.

Actual result

Nothing happens when I click the icons. I’m able to click and use the stylus like normal everywhere else in Obsidian. The only place I’ve come across this bug is on the ribbon. I have to use keyboard shortcuts or my trackpad instead.

Environment

• Operating system: macOS Monterey 12.1
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v1.1.9
    Installer version: v1.0.3
    Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.2.0: Sun Nov 28 20:29:10 PST 2021; root:xnu-8019.61.5~1/RELEASE_ARM64_T8101 21.2.0
    Login status: not logged in
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Restricted mode: off
    Plugins installed: 0
    Plugins enabled: 0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

2 Likes

I have the same issue here, but with Fedora Linux. Used to work some weeks ago.

1 Like

I believe the issue happens because you can drag and rearrange the top icons on the ribbon. You can’t do this with the bottom icons and they are clickable. It’s not been configured properly for styluses.

I also have this issue, and not only in the ribbon. Obsidian seems to have trouble distinguishing between a tap of the pen (click) and a tap and drag in the drop down menus as well. I’m a new/curious user testing it out and it feels pretty unworkable for me with this issue.

would be nice if we could get a fix for this

In which dropdown menus are you dragging?

I can use wacom to click in any window, browser, console, but not in Obsidian. Neither the close window button works. Every part in Obsidian is not clickable. But it was not that way before some updates.

This isn’t a universal bug. I also extensively use an Intuos Pro, and it works fine for me in MacOS and Windows. (I’m not saying the bug doesn’t exist.)

I’ve definitely seen some apps where there is zero drag threshold, and clicking is nearly impossible. Especially web-apps. I’m not personally experiencing that in Obsidian.

Things to try:

A test someone here might be willing to do? Use precision mode on your tablet, so it makes the cursor more steady. In precision mode, are you still completely unable to click? (I wonder if it is instant drag, or no click being registered at all.)

MacOS doesn’t have this option, and I don’t know about Linux. But in Windows, there is a Wacom setting. Try turning OFF “Use Windows Ink”, and see if that makes any difference. That has often helped me with some compatibility issues, particular in art programs.

1 Like

I fixed the error on my Fedora Linux by disabling the new Wayland Support implemented in version 1.1.9 of Obsidian.
Run this line on the console to disable Wayland:

$ flatpak override --user --env=OBSIDIAN_USE_WAYLAND=0 md.obsidian.Obsidian

Open Obsidian and the Wacom works fine again.

2 Likes

What is Wayland Support and do I need it? I’m on a Mac. Do i run the code in Terminal?

Wayland support is a Linux thing. You don’t need it on Mac.

I don’t have a problem with the ribbon icons, but I do have one with the Canvas objects:
I can add and select an item, but I can’t move or change its size.
If I use my finger gestures (I have an Intuos Pen & Touch tablet) it works, but that’s very annoying. Constantly switching between pen and touch is frying my brain. :wink:

I’d love to see an update where the pen actions are recognized as mouse actions and it functions as it should.

Thanks in advance.

The linux issue is tied to wayland and is off our hands.
For the other reports, please be as specific as possible and try to reproduce on the sandbox vault.

This has started happening to me too. Please chime in on this thread if you have time:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.