Keyboard shortcuts to enter current date/time

Text expander? E.g. Espanso.

3 Likes

You do have a template set for your Daily Notes, right?

You can set all kinds of fields to be populated in that template and automatically inserted when you click “create daily note,” including whatever date format you like.

I actually have a specific template which I’ve created to be inserted in already created notes which just creates a header with a date and time so that if I need to insert something on the fly, it’s extremely easy.

(All that said, I would love to have an integrated date-picker for inserting dates in the future/past. I suspect will be able to do that pretty easily with the plug-in architecture which is coming down the pipe.)

1 Like

Yes, I do have a template. I’m mainly talking about adding links to the daily note on the fly, not to create the note.

I didn’t think of that yet, so thank you for that. This should be a decent workaround for the moment.

1 Like

Yes! A date selector with a date-picker-ui would be an amazing feature, a great plugin idea.

3 Likes

FWIW: I use multiple date & time formats in multiple programs. Since I was dealing with this issue in 3-4 programs for years, I just created 1 AutoHotKey program for all the assorted times I use Ctl+Shft+D (2020-09-27) -Alt+Shft+D (Sunday, September 27, 2020) - Ctl+$Numpad0 (22:12 PM) etc.

Took me 15 minutes to learn enough AHK to do it. AHK can actually create just about any “new” feature I want in Obsidian… If I cared to understand it better and make the macro. I suspect AHK is only one of many ways to do this universally.

2 Likes

I’m planning on adding this (or a version of this) to the natural language dates plugin: three shortcuts to add the current date, current time, and current date+time. I already have something working and I’m just wondering about the format… Are all those meant to be links? or is the preference to just insert text?

Later on, I plan to add a modal to take any date in natural language (sorry, no date picker) but that might take me a little longer.

To note… right now, all date-related plugins have their own separate settings (so it’s up to the user to keep them consistent). I haven’t checked if there’s a way to access the daily note settings (although I assume it’s possible), just wondering if there’s a scenario where you’d want dates formatted differently than in the daily plugin? (e.g. for the modal)

2 Likes

My solution is ‘insert template’.
so, I hope several date/time formats and hotkeys for the navigation.

The natural language date plugin already supports this starting on v0.3.0.

2 Likes

Hi!
I’ve just implemented adding the current date/time to the frontmatter, through the plugin ‘Markdown Prettifier’, any feedback is welcome.

2 Likes

@cristian Can the date be added as a footer instead of a header? Also does the tables feature work well with the “Advanced Tables” plugin?

4 posts were split to a new topic: Markdown prettifier plugin removes backslashes in aliases

Hi
How can I do the same as what you do like typing cmd/c

I’m very interested in your work here and would appreciate any updates. :white_check_mark:

1 Like

It’s already out!

3 Likes

Thank you so much @argentum for your kind reply and link. I’ve installed it and couldn’t be happier! :smile:

1 Like

Trying out the plugin, but I agree this would be nice to see as part of the core package (also for consistent date/time/tz handling - that stuff can get a little wonky)

Thanks so much! This was exactly what I needed.

I know that’s from a while ago, but Thanks very useful

I have a bat for email, and another for postcode, to clipboard
This one will also come in handy.

Much prefer little bat’s and things than a full blown app.

This is now implemented, see #1 under Shiny New Things here:

https://forum.obsidian.md/t/obsidian-release-v0-12-5/19374

3 Likes