Keep hover node stationary/centered during zoom out

When you are zoomed in on a graph and you are hovering over a node, it would be cool if that node stayed in place during zoom out.

As it is, it is quite nice that when you do this, despite the offset that happen during zoom out, that node you were hovering over stays highlighted.

I like that behavior, but the bonus of keeping that node right beneath the cursor during zoom out would be quite nice.

I understand that the current behavior kind of corrects in order to center the graph if zoomed out far enough, but if the user just panned the node of choice to center screen before hovering before zooming out, they would get the best of all worlds.

Better yet, if, while hovering over a node, you begin to zoom out, the graph could shift both cursor and hover node to center of the pane.

Just a thought. I am just curious what people might think of this idea. I am very happy with how things are, but don’t see any down sides to this behavior other than potentially the shifting cursor/node being unsettling. However, if it was done gradually, I think it might be easy to get used to. Thanks.

1 Like

I LOVE that idea, as you say, default behaviour could be “current behavior kind of corrects in order to center the graph if zoomed out far enough” as you say, but then one could incorporate a keypress with the zoom (e.g. Ctrl-Mouse Wheel) and now with that combination, the zoom would behave so " that node stayed in place during zoom out."

Yes please, having that choice would sometimes come in very handy.

1 Like