Keep focus in current tab (Open links in new tab/tab group in background)

I’d be nice to be able to choose to open new panes or tabs in the background (the way you can do with browser tabs in most browsers), without having the focus shift to newly opened files.

Use case or problem

Use case: Note A has links to ten other notes, and you want to open all ten of them. Currently, when using Sliding Panes or Tabs, opening the first one (“Note B”) will shift focus to Note B; you have to navigate back to Note A to open the other links. So opening all ten notes means open Note B, navigate back to Note A, open Note C, navigate back to Note A, etc. It’d be nice to keep the cursor and focus on Note A throughout, and be able to open notes B, C, D, etc. in the background.

The issue is compounded when opening notes from the backlink window. This requires clicking Note B, navigating back to Note A (which resets the backlink window), scroll down through the backlink window to locate Note C, open note C, navigate back to Note A, again scroll down through the backlink window, open note D, etc.

Proposed solution

A toggle to open links in the background by default.

Related requests

Related but more limited request (limited to opening backlinks): Keep backlinks for currently-focused document when clicking on them

46 Likes

++

Looking through the forums and discord there are posts here and there with people scratching their heads with how focus and panes (and now tabs) work. I was very confused at first why a “pinned note” would open another copy of itself instead of shifting focus to the original pinned note. lol (I get how it works now)

Modifier keys help when clicking, and I use Pane-Relief to to quickly jump around tabs regardless of what pane they are in, but I still feel work could be done keeping the current pane focused (with some user options?) when clicking internal/backlinks/outgoing links.

1 Like

Feature Request: Ability to open tab in background, as it’s implemented in web browsers.

I use as it's implemented in web browsers as a shortcut to emulate those behaviors because frankly, they are engrained in my workflow to the point where I don’t think about them anymore, and when going to Obsidian’s file browser tabs it’s notably disorienting to suddenly have something I command + clicked or otherwise interacted with to disrupt what I’m doing, and then I have to switch back to the tab I was using.

3 Likes

+1. I would use this a lot.

1 Like

I would also use this feature. I made a similar post here

3 Likes

+1 would use

2 Likes

This would be fantastic - I frequently review related notes after the main note and open them as I’m reading the main one - each link opening a new tab interupts my reading flow though :frowning:

3 Likes

Came upon this after searching for solution to this issue. Signed up just so I could say that I want this feature too!

1 Like

this behavior is driving me nuts. I want to command click many links from a note as I’m reading. having to interrupt my workflow with each click is bananas.

5 Likes

A less-than-ideal workaround is ctrl+alt+click. It opens the link in a new tab in split view. However, it just keeps making more split views when opening multiple links.

2 Likes

I also made a similar feature request not having seen this one.

I less often open notes in new tabs with the intent of interacting with that note immediately after doing so. I much more often open a series of notes in the background to review. If I need to look at a new tab that I opened, I prefer to take the extra step to go to that new tab manually.

I agree with the previous comments. The current way is distracting. +1 for this feature request.

1 Like

Mega mega mega +1 for this feature please! And more options for control of pane focus in general.

1 Like

I came from Google search looking for a solution to this issue. It’s annoying always having to click back to the original tab. And I do that quite a lot. Definitely +1.

1 Like

+1. Would make tabs and workflows far better.

1 Like

This is driving me crazy! Please allow us to open a new tab in a window that doesn’t still focus.

2 Likes

+1 I was hoping to find this was already implemented

1 Like

+1 Yes please :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 for this feature!

1 Like

+1 for this feature and the related ‘ctrl+click (or shift+click) to open in new tab’

1 Like