iOS Shortcuts - Share your ideas!

These are AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

What a wonderful thread! Newbie question: Is it possible to set up and use iOS Shortcuts with Obsidan Sync instead of iCloud? Also see my post here. Your help is appreciated!

Yes. See answer to your other post-
How to capture on iOS using Sync (without or together with iCloud) - #4 by Daveb08.

Solved here

1 Like

I’ve finally managed to create an IOS/MacOS shortcut to input tasks that works well with the Tasks Plugin and it allows me to quickly create tasks on the go without opening Obsidian (and the dreaded “Waiting for ICloud to synchronize Obsidian configuration files”). Similarly to other shortcuts I have seen, it starts by opening a box asking for the text of the todo ("- []" is added by default) . Once this is inputted, a follow-up menu allows for more options/

1. Create Task adds the task to the daily note and ends the automation. This is done by appending the text to the file on ICloud (accessible both from mobile and desktop)

2. Create Note creates a new note in a specific folder, adds the todo to that note and end the automation. This option is helpful when I want to create a todo that will require me to work on a dedicated note.

3. Select Folder prompts me to select one of the folder in the Vault. Once this is done, it returns to the previous choice menu. The task will be stored in the folder note of the selected folder rather than in the daily note where I can create the task/note, or select additional features.

4. Select Date prompts me to select a date from the calendar. This is added to the text of the todo following the emojii so that it is picked up by the tasks plugin query. Once this is done, it returns to the previous choice menu where I can create the task/note, or select additional features.

5. Select Priority prompts me to select a priority level among the four levels that included in the Tasks plugin (none, low, medium, high). The corresponding emojii added to the text of the todo. Once this is done, it returns to the previous choice menu where I can create the task/note, or select additional features.

For those of you who are interested, here is the link: Shortcuts

5 Likes

Fast Photo sounds exactly what I’ve been trying to set up, but I seem to be unable to get the shortcut from the link, just getting a perpetual load animation. Anyone else getting this issue?

@AJBlue98 wondering how you got around iPhone photos staying in HEIC when added to obsidian? That’s the bit I’m stuck on at the moment.

1 Like

This seems so handy! Wondering if you’ve ever had an error saying ‘unable to save, file doesn’t exist’? Can’t figure it out. Have the save destination folder set to my own existing folder via Toolbox Pro, and haven’t messed with anything else.

Am I missing something? (I don’t really know more than a bare minimum of coding so it’s possible I’m missing something that’s obvious to others).

1 Like

This is great and so perfect for my workflow, but wondering if you’ve ever had an error saying ‘unable to save, file does not exist’? I can’t figure out what the issue is.

I have the save allocation set to a folder in my obsidian vault via Toolbox Pro, and haven’t changed anything else in the shortcut. Anyone have an idea why this might be happening?

1 Like

This is interesting. Installed the ShowInput MD and Shortcut Launcher as described. But I don’t know how does it work? Should I specify anything in ShowInput MD? The first line says: receive Text input from Nowhere. Please advise.

I can’t remember what I was thinking about two months ago, but I opened the shortcut I made and analyzed it. I will write what I can understand now.

Initial setting

In addition to the shortcut “ShowInputMD”, you also need the shortcut “ShowRandNoteW / Tag”.
(In addition, the shortcut “encodeURIComponent” that you would have downloaded before is also required for it to work.)

You also need to specify the vault name and tag in ShowRandNoteW / Tag.

The Shortcut Launcher plugin needs to be set up properly like my comment above.

Operations you need to do every time

Execute the shortcut “ShowRandNoteW / Tag”.
It may be useful to add this shortcut to your home screen.

What it does

The shortcut “ShowRandNoteW / Tag” does the following–

1. Make the Obsidian app display a list of notes to which the corresponding tag is assigned.
  2. Run the smart-random-note plugin via the Advanced-URI plugin. The smart-random-note plugin randomly selects and displays one note from the list display.
  3. Run the obsidian-shortcut-launcher plugin via the Advanced-URI plugin. The obsidian-shortcut-launcher plugin runs the shortcut “ShowInputMD”. The contents of the selected note are passed to the shortcut “ShowInputMD”.

The shortcut “Show Input MD” does the following:

1. Convert the received content (Markdown) to rich text and display it in a dialog box.
  2. When “OK” is pressed, return to the home screen.

The above series of movements is performed. You don’t have to run ShowInputMD directly.

1 Like

The shortcut “Show Input MD” starts with “receive Text input from Nowhere”, but don’t worry. ShowInputMD receives data from the obsidian-shortcut-launcher plugin.

1 Like

Obsidian now has a Share Sheet extension, but it is extremely limited. This one’s much better: Save To Obsidian

Features

• Saves web pages, not just URLs
• Optionally appends input to existing note (especially useful for images!)
• Embeds YouTube videos
• Handles rich text

Download it and give it a try!

8 Likes

Hey everyone!

So, based on the shortcuts of this post, I’ve changed a little bit adding the possibility of creating the note of the day if it doesn’t exists, the same behavior as we have in the desktop app.

Here it is:
Open Daily Task Note

1 Like

Hi, I’ve tried a variation of this shortcut: it worked for half a day and now it creates a new file (2022-09-19.md.txt) each time I use it!

This is my shortcut Shortcuts

I can’t understand what’s happened!

My guess is that the shortcut behaves differently if the file hasn’t been created before it runs. Probably best to add a check to see if it exists (and to create the file) before doing anything else.

OK, I found out!

Thanks, Ryan I’ll add the control you suggested.

Anyway, the problem was in the text where I define the file name based on current date: there was a return character after the file extension!:sweat_smile:

1 Like

I created a shortcut that exports my workout from the Apple Fitness app to an Obsidian note tracking all my workouts:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/e0bb7a090b704ed6868bd5fe9ff5a148

I save the log by creating links to my daily note so I can quickly connect the two together and view my activity by day.
PS: It uses the premier version of ToolBox Pro however which costs $5.99

4 Likes

In my environment, simply removing the line break after “Ora attuale.md” written inside the text action fixed the issue.

Currently i have a shortcut to capture my thought base on Darin Suthapong youtube channels, but then when i update my ipad to ipados16, it have some bugs that i cant type when trigger the shortcut. Basic i fixed it by reinstall the shortcut
But when i trigger the shortcut, i have to tap to the shortcut to text, or click to that, so i can type, it’s pretty annoy for me right now, how can i fix this ?

Can you do a screen recording of the behavior?