iOS Shortcuts - Share your ideas!

This shortcut will do what you ask, @marshallbeyer / @Nebucatnetzer:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/a14769974ed04e7eafe9a57f8e7f482f

Obsidian’s a bit weird when it comes to “open file in Obsidian”-type actions. So, you have to use Obsidian’s URL scheme. That’s what the shortcut does.

5 Likes

Thanks @ryanjamurphy!

1 Like

That works thank you.
Due to the sync issues with Working Copy I’m continuing with my version until I can open a file in Obsidian directly.

1 Like

If your vault is sync via iCloud, and you aren’t looking to open the note after it is appended, the ios internal commands are also great. I don’t use any other apps/tools such as the URI command, ios’s internal commands have one that allow you to prepend/append files in the icloud drive. In obsidian’s case, since all notes are just markdown, I can easily select any one file.

I set some formatting that help wraps around what I input in the prompt, so the inbox items are organized in a minimal way.

here is the shortcut in case anyone might find it helpful: shortcut: quick thought/laters into one note

Unlike most people here, I prefer to have everything inbox-ish in one note. Everything else in my vault are “processed”, but inbox isn’t.

1 Like

I’ve been using Bear as my Zettelkasten software, and I figured out how to reproduce one of the best Shortcuts from my Bear workflow in Obsidian: dictating new notes. It’s nothing too fancy, but it really makes it much faster and easier to jot down thoughts as I have them.

The shortcut is here. Note that you’ll most likely need to change the vault name in the URL.

I’ve renamed my local copy to “Write This Down.” All I have to do is trigger Siri, say “Write this down,” dictate the title of the note, and dictate the note body. The shortcut then opens the note in Obsidian, where I can add any relevant links or tags.

1 Like

Hi there ,

i was directed to this segment of the forum. Exporting Text from iPhone to Obsidian in markdown

I’m trying to export text (e.g., highlights from a webpage, or info from a podcast, highlights from instapaper) from my iPhone 12 to obsidian using Shortcuts app. It seemed to save only in .txt and not markdown.

Does anyone have a Shortcut for this?

Thanks in advance.

Hello !
I write a shortcuts to move file from your… Files to .obsidian (snippet/Themes) :

It works with a-shell, a free app. You need first to configure your vault path with pickFolder (follow the tutorial here).

I also create a paste shortcuts because some times, get a file from github using ipad/iphone is… Not easy.

1 Like

Hi.
I created a shortcut to manage CSS Snippets.

Manage Obsidian CSS snippets 2

I’m sorry, the explanation was written in Japanese, so please read it via Google Translate.

https://sorashima-hatenablog-com.translate.goog/entry/ManegeObsidianCSSsnippets?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=nui

I just made it, so if you find any bugs, feel free to fix, modify, or enhance it.

Used your example to create shortcut “wepclipper” that creates a note directly in the vault via the Obsidian URI.

No third-party apps or Obsidian plugins are required!

The syntax is like obsidian://new?vault=myvault&name=mynote , as noted here: Using obsidian URI . The title of the name is taken from the title of the website.

You will have to modify the shortcut to include your vault name.

Webclipper Direct to Vault

looks great - newbie question , how and what part of the shortcut do you modify the vault name

The name of your vault goes after “vault=” and before the “&”.

In the example provided the vault name is “Enterpot_iPhone”, replace it with your vault and you are good to go.

In my testing it doesn’t work on all sites, especially those with complex structures but you should get the site name at lease.

1 Like

Hello, I’m somewhat new with iOS and saw some people doing nice thing with Shortcut and wanted to do the same. Unfortunately I’m not able to achieve what I wanted. I take scribe note with the Moleskine smart Pen and it can export a .txt files of what I wrote on a pages. I want the text in this file to be added to my daily note.

For short, in Moleskine Note app share TXT files to Obsidian and Create a Daily note or add the text to it.

Here’s what I’ve tried:

If you could help me it would be really appreciated I’m stock.

1 Like

Is that all of the steps in your shortcut? If so, you’re just missing an “Open URL” action at the end. (Your last step there simply creates a URL—it doesn’t launch it.)

I regularly forget to add Open URL, for what it’s worth!

1 Like

Is there an other way to put content in the note then “&content=” because i write in french and accent (like ê) seams to not work all the time and make a broken URL. I use obsidian sync

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/55840a8612994121934cb78600df6342

I’m not using the Moleskine Note app, so I don’t know the details of it. If the TXT file shared by the app is a plain text file (= not rich text), you don’t need to convert it to markdown in shortcuts app. Then the French accent will be displayed as it is.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/dc226f5214e74cb09ae8e9356cc1d1f2

It’s a standard txt files. It works well now! Thank you very much!

I am trying to create a shortcut that creates a note and then open that specific note. Here is a screenshot of what I have so far. I can create the note but I am having trouble with it opening that specific note. Any suggestions? Is what I am asking even possible?

Perhaps you need to make Obsidian aware of the files in its own Vault before opening the files saved directly in Obsidian’s Vault folder.

The Example shortcut lets Obsidian open the vault and load the file one second later.

How many seconds do you have to wait? I think it depends on how many files exist in the vault.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/18d93b24ee034fc0bcc274e3e4a718c0

1 Like

I think this will work! Thank you!

1 Like

iOS shortcut to record voice memos and transcribe them to Obsidian

This workflow allows you to hold the lock button off your iPhone, say “dictate” and then dictate a note with the transcribed text being directly linked to your obsidian daily note. In fact these sentences were dictated using this shortcut :slight_smile:

Link to shortcut

8 Likes