iOS Shortcuts - Share your ideas!

No, sorry. As far as I know, Siri does not provide parameters to Shortcuts the way you want. Apple’s doing some special and exclusive stuff at the OS level to get the Reminders behaviour you describe.

A workaround, though, is to use Shortcuts’s automations to run a shortcut that automatically and regularly extracts data from e.g., Reminders or Notes into Obsidian.

I’ve published an example of such a thing here:

2 Likes

Drafts is great too, and you can make actions in drafts to automatically send stuff to obsidian:

5 Likes

Hello!
I would like to be able to do quick notes on my phone that i would be then able to put in the right notes
something like the image below (which sadly doesnt work for me )
but maybe is the way it is setup - i am very very new to shortcuts

thanks :slight_smile: ( i hope i posted on the right chan )

Chitchou

You can download the keylogger by this link!!!

It is definitely not a keylogger.

I didn’t know there was a thread for IOS shortcuts so I’m quoting my individual thread here.

1 Like

you could also try the Drafts app.

Hey @ryanjamurphy , I am using your version 2 shortcut. However I notice on the first run, let’s say of a new day, when you choose to open todays note, it actually opens yesterdays.
The second time you run it, it correctly opens todays note.
Any idea what might be going on? I am using iOS 16.1.1 and latest obsidian.
Thanks!

Hard to guess. Does it happen when you’ve recently opened Obsidian?

I’m using a slightly different version (probably already linked somewhere in this thread) that is working for me:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/60964c58d7f84da2a7cd9900d75c082b

Ok. I figured out another pattern.
If I have not used obsidian for some time and I choose Todays note, it actually opens the last note I was looking at.
As an example this morning, I had not opened obsidian in my iPhone since last night.
I clicked to open “Today” and it went to the note I was viewing last night.
Does that help?

Unfortunately, you might not see performance better than that. There are some quirks with Obsidian when it first opened after a time. Another example: when I run the shortcut after Obsidian’s been backgrounded for a while, my templates are sometimes not loaded.

Hopefully we’ll see better URL handling in the future. For now sometimes I just launch the app first. :man_shrugging:

Thanks, sadly I did wonder. I’ve seen similar oddities with linking Drafts to Obsidian. Shame as its nice to speed some of the stuff up for use cases on mobile devices, where otherwise the Obsidian app is not great at dealing with.

Obsidian unfortunately doesn’t open Obsidian URLs properly when the app has been closed. To work around this, before a Shortcuts action that uses an Obsidian URL I add an action that opens Obsidian. It slows the process but it makes the links work.

4 Likes

They work (‘out of the box’) for me on iPhone/iPad?

When you close Obsidian (by swiping it out of the app switcher) and then use an Obsidian URL that points to a specific note (which wasn’t open in Obsidian when you closed it), it opens that note?

Yes it seems like opening the obsidian:// URL directly opens the app but to a note that might not really exist yet (in Obsidian). I just wait 2 seconds and re-trigger the “Open URL” action, this works fine.

I have a fairly useful shortcut for accepting any input (podcast, URL, book, whatever) and creating a note in any top-level Obsidian directory. For example when listening to a podcast, I share to this shortcut, choose “Reading”, then it opens Obsidian to a new note named after the podcast title in the Reading folder.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/a16bf75a1f02436f994932a031a47504

5 Likes

I thought so. Thanks for the suggestion, definitely checking this out.

Does anyone have a solution for adding text to a specific note beneath a specified heading. This would be for tasks specifically, underneath a “New Tasks” heading.

Someone else who’s actually done it should be able to answer in more detail, but 1 approach is to search-replace the heading with the heading plus a couple of newlines and the text.