IOS creates no-break spaces and they break the internal links

I want to report two problems.

1. In IOS system, using space will insert no-break space while on PC it’s regular space. No-break space has a different style on IOS, which creates inconsistency across platforms.

2. Using a mixed of no-break space and regular space will make the internal link not working. In the following example, the spaces before the hyphen sign of the second bullet are no-break spaces. And this will make the link to the third bullet point not working. If they’re replaced by regular spaces, the internal link works with no problem.

Steps to reproduce

Copy paste the following text

- Bullet point
- Bullet point using no-break space

- Bullet point using space ^123

[[#^123]]

Expected result

Clicking on the link navigates to the third bullet point.

Actual result

Nothing happens.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.4.16
Installer version: v1.4.13
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22621
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Seems like the website will automatically convert all the no-break spaces into regular spaces. I’m attaching a sample file here FYI.

Untitled.md (110 Bytes)

The debug info you pasted is for Windows, not iOS.

I don’t think iOS uses non-breaking spaces by default. Do you perhaps have a text replacement setup (in iOS Settings > General > Keyboard > Text replacement), or an Obsidian plugin that might be doing it? Or perhaps it’s the result of a system language setting? (iOS Settings > General > Language & Region; mine is set to English)

2 Likes

Also, it would be better to post a separate report for each problem. You can include a link to the other in each.

Thanks! It was indead the css problem. If you set white-space: normal, it will lead to no-break space on IOS.

1 Like

Interesting! Good find.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.