iOS app: Long note titles make editor wider than screen, rendering app practically unusable

Steps to reproduce

In version 1.4.0 of the iOS app, create a new note, and in place of “Untitled”, type the note title “A long note title that makes the editor wider than the screen”.

Expected result

The editor should remain within the width of the screen, or at least provide a horizontal scrollbar.

Actual result

After entering the note title and beginning to edit the note contents, the editor resizes and becomes wider than the screen. On my iPhone 8, what I see is:

First line: “A long note title that make”

(“s the editor wider” is also on the first line, but off the right edge of the viewport)

Second line: “than the screen”

Note contents are also affected, and swiping horizontally opens sidebars instead of scrolling the editor horizontally. The only way to scroll to the right is to type a line long enough to reach the right edge. The only way to scroll back to the left is to type a line break.

This persists after closing and reopening the note. The editor is practically unusable for notes with titles long enough to do this, which in my vault is most of them because my YYYYMMDDHHmm unique note prefix occupies about 2/3 of the screen width.

Disabling the new “inline titles” option doesn’t fix it, which renders the iOS app almost completely unusable.

Environment

• Operating system: iOS 14.8.1
  • Debug info:

SYSTEM INFO:
Operating system: ios 14.8.1 (Apple iPhone)
Obsidian version: 1.4.0 (80)
API version: v1.0.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: light
Community theme: none

I can’t reproduce

post a screen recording of this (no theme, no plugins, no snippets)

Screen recording: IMG 0022 GIF | Gfycat

This is a completely vanilla install and has never had any community plugins or themes.

Related: I seem to have reported a specific reproduction mechanism for a subset of Cannot scroll in iOS app

1 Like

I can’t reproduce this either. I notice you and the author of the other request are both using an old version of iOS. Do you have access to a more up to date version to test on?

I can repro, but it has to be on iphone with a long title.

this was fixed a while ago

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.