iOS app crashes at launch

I have used the option to share the crash report with the developers a number of times.

The app often, but not always crashes at launch.

Steps to reproduce

1. Open the app.
  2. It starts (and says it has completed) syncing.
  3. IIRC it will (sometimes at least), show the note that is open on my Mac (so it synced properly).
  4. It then freezes and eventually quits with the message:

Of course, right now, as I’m posting this, the app is working fine.
But this issue has been affecting me since the app first came out for iOS, and keeps coming back.

Expected result

To use the app.

Actual result

I can’t use the app.

Environment

• Operating system: iOS 15.4.1, iPhone 13 Pro
  • Debug info: SYSTEM INFO:
    Operating system: ios 15.4.1 (Apple iPhone)
    Login status: not logged in
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: Minimal
    Snippets enabled: 2
    Safe mode: off
    Plugins installed: 4
    Plugins enabled: 2
    1: Hider
    2: Minimal Theme Settings

I opened this today even though the app is currently working, as I don’t expect that to continue. I’ll follow up here with more info. I’m also testing with all community modules disabled.

Use safe mod and no theme.

How many notes and what is the size of your vault in mb?

I had tried disabling just the plugins, that didn’t solve the problem.

As of today I have changed theme to the base theme today and enabled safe mode as advised.

Vault is: ~800MB
Note Count: ~1400

On Mac I’ve never had any issues. Just on iPhone it works sometimes, but often locks and up and eventually crashes.

Quick update: After launching the app on iPhone just now, it’s locked up already.

With the suggestions above it is acting the same way it has since I first started trying to use the app last year.

To test I force quit the app, opened it, it showed that it was syncing vault changes. Then it showed the note I last had open on my Mac. But it was unresponsive. I tried swiping down to get to the command overlay, and after about 45 seconds it popped up. But it too was unresponsive. I tried typing something just to get a response, but so far it has not responded after about 2 minutes. Just now the command pallet disappeared, then came back. And ok, so now the app is responding.

I’m happy to see that it didn’t crash, and I can give this a try for a few days and see how it goes, but the way it was acting at launch indicates to me the problem still exists and will continue to cause problems. At the very least, having to wait 5 minutes each time I want to use the app isn’t useful.

This is still happening as of the latest releases:
Obsidian Mac: v0.15.9
Obsidian iOS: 1.3.0 (63)
iOS is fully up to date: 15.5

Open the app, it loads, syncs, and shows the note I had open on my Mac. I try to interact and at first, it started letting me scroll, then it locked up and wouldn’t respond. I put my phone down and it eventually crashed.

I submitted a crash report just now if that helps.

Here is the current Debug info from Mac:

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v0.15.9
	Installer version: v0.15.9
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.5.0: Tue Apr 26 21:08:22 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8020.121.3~4/RELEASE_X86_64 21.5.0
	Login status: logged in
	Catalyst license: supporter
	Insider build toggle: on
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 2
	Restricted mode: off
	Plugins installed: 6
	Plugins enabled: 1
		1: Advanced Tables v0.17.3

Does it happen in restricted mode and no themes and no snippets?
Does it happen only with some specific note or it happens regardless of what you open?

If you create a new empty vault does it happen there?
If you move 100 notes at time into this empty vault, when does it start happening?

You don’t have that many notes and you phone is quite new, so perhaps there is malformed note that is causing this?

I’ll test like you’re suggesting. Just wanted to note that it doesn’t happen on my iPad (10.5” iPad Pro, 2017). Very surprised to see that.

I’d be interested to hear if the cause of the lockup was ever found. My phone behaves exactly the same way. About a third of the time it works, about two thirds of the time it is unresponsive either at the start, or within a few seconds.

Hello, the problem is that the vault may be too big for device ram. Iphones are more stringent with memory usage than Ipads.

Also the total number of files (not just notes) counts.
@jon how many files do you have?

You can try to disable themes/plugins and see if it helps, however the fact still remains that mobile phones are more limited.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.