🚀 Introducing Smart Chat: A Game-Changer for Your Obsidian Notes (Smart Connections Plugin)

Hey Fellow Obsidian Enthusiast! :star2:

I’m thrilled to share a groundbreaking new feature within the Smart Connections plugin: Smart Chat! :robot:

With Smart Chat, your Obsidian notes become interactive, AI-powered conversations that help you engage with your content. Imagine having an AI assistant that helps you explore connections between your ideas and clarifies your understanding of complex topics. :brain::bulb:

Smart Chat is available right now as part of the Smart Connections plugin.

Curious to learn more? Head over to my latest blog post, where I dive into the benefits of Smart Chat, the technology behind it, and tips for getting the most out of this fantastic feature. :open_book::point_down:

I can’t wait for you to experience the power of Smart Chat! As always, I’d love to hear your feedback and suggestions. Give it a try, and let me know what you think! :smiley:

Happy chatting! :rocket:

13 Likes

This looks very promising. I started a chat but there is no field for my comments. I’ve tried switching themes, but there is still no field.

right at bottom- very small window.
Q What is benefit of using this over text generator plugin which generates text using same API WITHIN an actual note?

Simply, I prefer not to include AI generated text in my notes. So that’s why I made that design choice. Thanks for asking!

3 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by comments. Are you able to see the chat window? Thanks!

tbf, this is more about asking for your notes. Not adding content necessarily.
Sometimes you just want to search for something. That’s what this is for I think.

I see the chat window now, thanks. The border is invisible until you click inside it, so a tweak might help to guide neophytes like myself.

Great!

I try to inherit the design from the user’s theme. But it’s time-consuming to do all that testing.

Can you share with me which theme you’re using so I can check it out and see what I can do to improve Smart Connections to work better with that theme?

And thanks for trying the plugin!
Brian🌴

This is an AWESOME little plugin. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks @RSRandall !

Glad to hear that you like it :blush:

Smart Connections has become a core element of my personal PKM system. So I’m looking forward to continuing to improve it for a long time.

I started this discussion section on the GitHub. Learning how people are using the plugin, and things they would like to see in it, is a big help. Plus, if you have questions, it’s a good place for that, too. brianpetro/obsidian-smart-connections · Discussions · GitHub

Thanks for trying the plugin!

1 Like

can be created for mobile version

2 Likes

Mobile is on the roadmap!

2 Likes

¿porque no dejarnos usar también text-davinci-002 para saltar los filtros de contenido, y juntar el proyecto con Text Generation para crear plantillas con nuestros embendings?

1 Like

Hi @amaestro

If that’s something you think would be helpful, please create a feature request on GitHub Issues · brianpetro/obsidian-smart-connections · GitHub

Thanks,
Brian :palm_tree:

How about support for Portuguese Prompts ?

You can make a feature request on the GitHub.

I’m looking for contributors to make contributions that aren’t language-agnostic, which is where I’m focusing my time on the project.

You can read more about that here FR Prevent "exceeding max tokens" error by recalculating after error (also a fix for languages with non-english alphabet) · Issue #126 · brianpetro/obsidian-smart-connections · GitHub

1 Like

This is the missing piece in Obsidian - thanks a lot for developing Smart Connections & Smart Chat. Is there any way to make it usable on Mobile please? In the GitHub Roadmap Post from April I don‘t see this … It would just integrate into our daily life if it would also work on iPad and also iPhone/Android.

The developer seems to have abandoned the plugin.

Anyway, I noticed Evernote now has AI integrated directly into the app and it is quite impressive.

I wonder what the Obsidian devs have been up to lately, as we haven’t heard from them in a while now. They don’t seem to be updating the roadmap either.

I’ve noticed a huge increase in my openAI api usage when this plugin initializes and takes flight. I use AI in my notebook all the time but never am I charged more than couple dollars for the month. However starting this up, which it seemed like I just asked a few questions and my bill was already up by multiples than it usually is, and this is just in one day. I’ll admit my notebook is large but I wasn’t expecting it to run that costly. I am wondering if this is normal or if I was doing something wrong. Because of it, I’m scared of running the plugin. I’ve first disabled it but then I gave a second go recently and it did the same thing. This time I deleted it to hopefully remind me this is a dangerous plugin. The only solution without burning through my wallet for me it seems if this is its normal behavior, is to run a LLM locally which I can do. I wonder if there was a way to have Smart Connections use that instead of OpenAI. Thanks ahead of time for your answers.

Obsidian is still actively updated. At least I’m receiving updates for it. To be honest about Evernote, I abandoned that for TiddlyWiki. LOL. Evernote did start my journey initially I guess. Keep in mind this is just one of many AI plugins. Some are more active than others.