Influx plugin VS Obsidian backlinks: what's the difference

I’m trying out the plugin Influx which is “An alternative backlinks plugin, which displays relevant and formatted excerpts from notes with linked mentions, based on the position of mentions in the notes’ hierarchical structure (bullet level indentation).” However I can’t find any difference between this plufin and the normal backlinks. Noth show the title of the note that link back to our note, plus they show the context around that backling. What’s the difference between the two?

From the description it sounds like it renders Markdown instead of showing the syntax. The part about hierarchy is unclear to me.

The big difference as far as I can see is context. Influx is designed to be used with a structure focused on daily notes and bulleted outlines, somewhat like Roam Research (or Logseq, which I have not used but which I’ve read about). Backlinks show up in the influx panel, and include their parent node.

There are other differences. I’m still exploring Influx, and figuring out if it’s right for my workflow. The developer recommends doing EVERYTHING in daily notes and pages–no folders and no tags, which is not how I work. I use a very folder-heavy structure, with centralized, hierarchical index pages (some people call them maps of content, or MoCs).

I do use outlines, but I’ll have multiple outlines in a single note, with each outline topped by an #H1 or #H2 header. And that’s a problem with Influx, which currently looks for the first #H1 header on the page and considers that the note title, and then ignores other headers.

Why does it consider the first #H1 header the note title? I think it assumes its users are using a zettelkasten method, where the actual filename is a date and time stamp.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.