In Reading mode, copy or drag and drop images and text from Obsidian to desktop/other apps

Use case or problem

Viewing note with text and images and want to copy note content to paste somewhere else.

Separately, be able to drag image from Obsidian to desktop

Proposed solution

Viewing note w/ image in preview mode:

1. Select and copy entire note (text and images) and paste into any standard desk top app.
  2. Drag and drop image from note to desktop (or some other app)

Current workaround (optional)

Select all, copy, paste and match formatting.

Edit text in new location to add line breaks.

Screenshot image in Obsidian and paste into new location.

1 Like

@austin Not exactly what you were needing but it might still be helpful: check out this plugin which allows right click / copy images.

2 Likes

OMG, it works so convenient. Love it!
one suggest is that working on select multiple lines and few pics and copy/paste done.

Thank u !!!

1 Like

Dear all, I’m Andy, a loyal user of Obsidian. I have been using Obsidian for a while, and it’s no doubt an amazing note-taking app. However, I discovered noticeable inconvenience when copying text with images on Obsidian.

Specifically, when I select both text and images to copy, the images fail to be copied over. This results in me being unable to paste note content with images to email clients, browser or Word docs, which brings great inconvenience to my usage.

I’m a new media professional who often needs to publish my work notes online swiftly. But the current limitation of Obsidian significantly impacts my work efficiency. I have to manually copy and paste images one by one, instead of directly copying over my note content. This causes huge inconvenience in my work.

I noticed there were similar feedback in the community before, but the problem is not completely solved yet. I hope this post can draw the attention of Obsidian’s dev team, and make them consider adding support for copying text with images in future releases.

As a loyal user of Obsidian, I really hope it can grow into a more powerful and well-rounded app. Combination of text and images is crucial for knowledge management, so support for this feature can really bring Obsidian’s user experience to the next level. Please consider implementing this capability, it will greatly improve the usability of Obsidian.

Thanks for your hard work making Obsidian such an amazing software. I sincerely hope it can become even better! Please take into account this feature request of copying text with images, your effort is much appreciated!

1 Like