Improving discoverability without folders and tags

There’s MoC (Maps of Content) and time stamping but I want to know if there’s anything else to consider?

One thing I’ve always done is HungarianCapitalisation in my notes. I find that helps with search. Can anyone expand on this?

Do you know of other ways to organise notes?

I don’t want to use tags until I’ve explored everything else first.

I’ve noticed that some people mention tag autocompletion as useful but I prefer to keep searchable phrases in my own memory using mnemonics and exposure. I find learning new language useful.

I managed to expand on this since posting.

2 types of thinking:

1. Detail to summary
  2. Summary first, then drilling down into detail. This is more common.

This post is more for (1): people who already think in detail first and then link into summary as their default mental process. This process is slower. It surely needs a different approach to Zettlekasten.

At the moment, partly because of the above, I’ve only identified ONE goal for Zettlekasten: Rediscover sources.

At the moment, when I’m thinking, all I’m doing is duplicating my own mind. I don’t think I want to externalise the linking process fully. What I really want ObsidianMD and Zettlekasten to do for me as my short term goal is to help me record references to cite what others have said for social proof. I want to remember WHERE I read something. I want to rediscover the original Google Search I used to actually discover the good info without getting lost in clickbait and adverts.

This is why I link; because I want to be able to navigate back to those original input points from websites and authors.

So my goals are:
WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN

Examples of this would be:
Who = Author of the book
What = unique keyword. Possibly created using HungarianCapitalisation to help searching
WHERE = www link, minimal unique section of book title
WHEN = When I discovered this :date

I also think it’s worth making a habit to remember that keyword somehow by giving it more meaning. Use a mnemonic as part of habit. If you speak another language, write your note in a different language to the source.

Interesting that Hungarian Capitalisation. Haven’t tried it, though.

Try note signifiers at the start of the filename. Using allowed signs/symbols like ! or $ to differentiate between type of note (permanent/fleeting/literature) or note content (from a book/from an article/etc) can help in filtering results and navigating files.

And a better naming of headings/sections and titles will help. Right now, I’m trying a Keywords#description format in my newer notes: Good writing#uses simple language.

2 Likes

Interlinking regular notes may help too.

Let’s imagine you have notes about “Topic A”. One of them make you think about some argument from others notes inside this topic but also notes about “Topic C” and “Topic F”.

So, as soon as you read a note, you can navigate inside the same topic through its name, MOC, Index, or connexion between notes themselves.