Improve startup time on Linux

Does Obsidian take a really long time to startup for anyone else?

It takes me 7 (seven whole giant) seconds to open an Obsidian window.

I get pummeled with this 7 seconds every time I startup the application, but also when I want to open another vault. Basically anytime I have to open another Obsidian window.

Here’s the laptop I’m using.

• Dell XPS 13
  • CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz
  • Memory: 16GiB
  • GPU: TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics]
  • DE: Gnome 40 on Wayland

Technically, I’m installing from: AUR (en) - obsidian-appimage but that just downloads the AppImage file. The results are the same if I execute the app image directly.

$ ./obsidian-appimage-0.15.6.AppImage 
2022-08-04 16:43:57 Loading main app package /tmp/.mount_obsidi48E6mo/resources/obsidian.asar
Updates disabled.
[24338:0804/094358.370702:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(377)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
[24338:0804/094402.738881:ERROR:gl_surface_presentation_helper.cc(260)] GetVSyncParametersIfAvailable() failed for 1 times!

I have 1 plugin installed:

• Dataview

I tried disabling it, but the startup time is unaffected.

I have 500 markdown files.

GPU acceleration is on by default. I tried disabling that, but nothing seems to have changed.

I always remember Obsidian being slow to startup, but I’m finally starting to get really annoyed with it.

2 Likes

There is an option in the community plugins menu called 'Debug startup time'
Is something I saw someone else post regarding slow startup (on windows actually). Maybe that’ll help find out what’s going on

I enabled the “Debug startup time” setting. Here’s what I got.

Total plugin setup: 0ms

That makes sense. I have 1 plugin and I disabled it. The startup time is still 7 seconds.

It seems like the bottleneck is Obsidian itself, not the plugins.