Hello. I’ve been using Obsidian for a little time now and I’m blown away by its awesomeness. Unfortunately, there’s a critical feature missing, which to me is vital and without it, I’m lost (I think it’s quite the same for many others, students in particular):
As of right now (version 0.9.11), there’s no way to visualize, edit or search by date of creation and date of modification, it’s just possible to sort posts.
I use Obsidian to take notes for my lectures at university, and it’s important to me that knowledge and notes are searchable and linked not by topic only, but by date too. If I miss the last few minutes of a lecture, or if I don’t remember the topic of a class but I recall the date it took place, with date management I can easily get back to the right file.
There are some features related to date and time management which I consider essential in an all-in-one markdown editing environment.
- An editable metadata panel (perhaps it could be placed below the back-links section), containing the most important infos, specifically:
- note creation date and time
- when the note was last edited
- Integrate date management with YAML front matter: if one has a Jekyll website, it’s very important to both create and preserve that metadata.
- Automatically update the date when editing the note
- being able to change the last edited date (for example you fixed a typo in your note but the actual last edit of the content of the note was months ago)
Please drop below screenshots of metadata windows from other programs, I’ll add them below.
Up to now, the only way I could manipulate dates is by writing them each time in plain text at the beginning of my note (always in the same format) and search for it later.
I tried to set something up by using templates and the daily notes plugin, but I cant’t understand (as it’s pointed out in several other forum posts) whether Obsidian interprets that metadata or if it just leaves it as is.
- A focus on front matter metadata. I know it has been announced that front matter will be handled by plugins only, but I think it should be made clear how this affects pre-existing metadata
- Filtering notes by dates
- Show creation and update date, whichis similar to what I poin out here, but I’d add the important detail that metadata should be editable!
I’d really appreciate to know what you think and if you liked this topic.
I think it’s important to make it visible to many people and discuss about it.
Thanks a lot!