Import from Evernote

1. I cannot select more than one .enex file.
  2. It seems that the configuration options are not respected. I have chosen options like use one ressource folder, StandardMD, etc, which seem not to be used.
  3. Most formatting of notes, like basic stuff like bold text, seems to be lost.

Mac OS 10.15.7, YARLE desktop Version 4.0.3.

Log:

config: true
config: “d”
config: “dd”
config: “ddm”
config: “ddmm”
config: “ddm”
config: “dd”
config: “dd.”
config: “dd.m”
config: “dd.mm”
config: “dd.mm.”
config: “dd.mm.2”
config: “dd.mm.”
config: “dd.mm.y”
config: “dd.mm.yy”
config: “dd.mm.yyy”
config: “dd.mm.yyyy”
path: undefined
TypeError: Use delete() to clear values
path: undefined
TypeError: Use delete() to clear values
path: /Users/tre/Desktop/Notebackup/Analyse Ulveliv (1947).enex
Current template is: {title-block}# {title}{end-title-block}

{content-block}{content}{end-content-block}

{created-at-block}Created at {created-at}.{end-created-at-block}
{updated-at-block}Last updated at {updated-at}.{end-updated-at-block}
{source-url-block}Source URL: .{end-source-url-block}

{tags-block}
Tagged:

{tags}

{end-tags-block}

setting paths

Conversion started at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:39 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Converting note “Fra Spejdernes magasin (1960)”…
Conversion finished at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:39 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Note “Fra Spejdernes magasin (1960)” converted successfully in 0.115 seconds.
Notes processed: 1

Conversion started at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:42 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Converting note “Ulveliv: Billedregistrering af bogens kapitler”…
Conversion finished at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:42 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Note “Ulveliv: Billedregistrering af bogens kapitler” converted successfully in 0.165 seconds.
Notes processed: 2

Conversion started at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:42 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Converting note “Analyse af Ulveliv (1947)”…
Conversion finished at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:42 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Note “Analyse af Ulveliv (1947)” converted successfully in 0.096 seconds.
Notes processed: 3

Converting note “Materiel registrering af Ulveliv (1947)”…
Note “Materiel registrering af Ulveliv (1947)” converted successfully in 0.133 seconds.
Notes processed: 4

Converting note “Paw-analyse”…
Note “Paw-analyse” converted successfully in 0.044 seconds.
Notes processed: 5

Conversion started at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:43 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Converting note “Unavngivet”…
Conversion finished at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:43 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Note “Unavngivet” converted successfully in 0.143 seconds.
Notes processed: 6

Conversion started at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:43 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Converting note “Spejderbog: centrale analytiske spørgsmål”…
Conversion finished at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:43 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Note “Spejderbog: centrale analytiske spørgsmål” converted successfully in 0.016 seconds.
Notes processed: 7

Converting note “Omslag Ulveliv (1947)”…
Note “Omslag Ulveliv (1947)” converted successfully in 0.035 seconds.
Notes processed: 8

Converting note “Noter til Ulvelivs indhold”…
Note “Noter til Ulvelivs indhold” converted successfully in 0.008 seconds.
Notes processed: 9

Converting note “Metodologi for bogen som objekt”…
Note “Metodologi for bogen som objekt” converted successfully in 0.017 seconds.
Notes processed: 10

==========================
Conversion finished: 10 succeeded, 0 skipped, 0 failed. Total notes: 10

2 Likes

Also, the app seems to loose settings when closing and reopening.

1 Like

Hi @tokeriis ,

thanks for the tests, i check the issues.

Loosing a config is not a bug, currently the app starts with default settings every time. So keeping the settings is a good feature request :slight_smile:

thank you!

@tokeriis ,

didn’t you miss step 4, to select the output folder? as I see it in the logs, the path is undefined.

I did set the output folder.

ok, thx. it’s strange, I’ll investigate it.

Good day! I used the desktop Windows version, I have Windows 8.1. All is working well, thank you so much for putting this together.

1. My Evernote export has 25 enex files (I have a lot of notes, 12 years worth). Each enex file takes 4-6 hours to complete. I will be at this for days. Is there a way to pickup all the enex files in succession to avoid having to do them individually?
  2. The instructions state that after the conversion, to simply “drag” the converted files into Obsidian. The structure that has been created is:
    /notes//Evernote [2] (where the converted notes are) & /notes/Evernote [2]//_resources (where the attachments are). I tried dragging in ‘all’ the files under Evernote [2], without success. Can you elaborate on how to complete the import process?
    Thank you in advance for you assistance. Once I get this all working, this will be a huge timesaver for me (even if it takes days).
    Michael
1 Like

I used the desktop Windows version and default setting;evernote 6.25.1
“Keep Image size”to “Yes”
Would produce a syntax like this
Snipaste_2021-08-09_22-27-14
Snipaste_2021-08-09_22-25-14
I set “Keep Image size”to “no”,Import images will be partially lost

2 Likes

Hi @yukonquestm !

I’m sorry I totally missed your message here.
I added a similar feature request recently on github, namely to support batch of enex files (with inter-enex links of notes). I think on the possible implementation.
About your second case: Yarle creates a normal folder on your file-system, to complete the process you can simply move the folder or the files under your Obsidian vault.

Cheers,
akos

1 Like

Hi @akos0215,

I’m excited to use Yarle. However, I have no experience with code or development at all. I even find using the terminal confusing, never mind working with the configuration code at the Yarle GitHub site.

I’ve tried following the instructions here: Convert Evernote's .enex to .md Format
but get hung up on step 3. I’ve also read through the discussions on both Obsidian and Github forums and tried installing bits of suggested code into the terminal that seem like it might get me to where I want to go, but keep getting all kinds of error messages (I assume that’s what ‘ERR!’ means). I’ve also tried the stand alone tool.

Sadly, I’m not having any luck. I’m sure this is entirely due to the fact that code is a language I don’t yet understand. Is there a way to work with Yarle for a non-coder?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer,

Josh

Hi Joshua!

That description looks pretty old, I implemented a complete User interface in Yarle hence, it is now a cross-platform desktop application, so I would suggest you to download the version that fits your Operating System from here: GitHub - akosbalasko/yarle: Yarle - The ultimate converter of Evernote notes to Markdown
, start it, and follow the steps within the application.

cheers,
akos

2 Likes

Thanks so much, Akos!

When I downloaded the app at Binaries it worked! Can I go ahead and delete the json and node-v16.11.1 package and I had downloaded earlier?

Thank you again!

Josh

Sure sure, you don’t need them.

cheers,
akos

@akos0215

Terrific. Thank you again for your help and for Yarle. Such a help,

Josh

1 Like

Or just use Evernote to Export in ENEX format. The use Joplin to covert ENEX to Markdown. Then import those MD files into Obsidian. That’s how I got my ~1GB of Evernote notes into Obsidian.

1 Like

@akos0215 I am not very tech savvy on all you do, Were can I find the link to download the the file. I see a lot of links but I am not sure which one to use.

1 Like

On the GitHub page, scroll down to “Binaries” – that’s a very nerdy way of saying “program files” :wink:

@akos0215 , thank you so much for this amazing tool! I tried to convert ~20,000 notes from Evernote to Obsidian recently, many notes don’t need adjustment after the conversion, however, I do have one concern:

I use colored text very often in many notes. Some to emphasize the importance, some to gray out so other part is more pop. Could you let me know whether you plan to add “keep font color” feature in Yarle in the near future?

Thanks!

Hi @akos0215, and thank you for Yarle. It worked really well for me.

I noticed two bugs/errors in my export.

Two notes failed to export because of overlong note titles / file names. These fails were noted in the log, however, at the end of the export, the log summary said that the full amount had exported and 0 had failed.

Another note got overwritten because I had two notes of the same name in the same notebook in Evernote (though they had different letter cases). The log showed that both notes had exported fine. Perhaps there is some way of recognising when this happens, so that users can be notified which note was overwritten.

I was able to fix my issues no problem, but if these issues with the log have an easy fix it may save other users some head-scratching :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you for reporting these two issues! The first one is a known problem, afaik I have already implemented a fix that handles the long filenames according to the OS. The second is more interesting because by default Yarle should put an index in case of identical filenames definitely to avoid such overwriting and data loss. I’ll investigate it.
Thanks a lot!