Import from Evernote

What magic is this?

Notes processed: 358
Conversion finished: 358 succeeded, 0 skipped, 0 failed. Total notes: 358

To me, as a non-coder, this really is magic.

4 Likes

I’m glad you find it cool! :slight_smile:

Is it possible to specify explicit paths to the emex files? I ran npm i -g yarle-evernote-to-md but things are hanging for me when I execute yarle. I’m not sure if this is because it can’t find the emex file or something else.

1 Like

Hi @hskiba!
You can specify the location of your enex file(s) in the config file’s enexSource property. Pls check https://github.com/akosbalasko/yarle for details.

About the hanging: could you please send the commands you typed, and their outputs? Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Below is an example of what I’m running. Running this just hangs.

I tried a different approach and was able to get things to run by running the following.

npm install
npm run build --if-present
npm start

One thing I’m noticing is that tags and metadata do not appear to be in the converted files. I did check my enex files and the information is in there. Am I missing a step here?

Thanks again!

1 Like

@akos0215 I posted my experience using your wonderful tool over here:

I want to alert you to a couple of bugs I found and also give some feedback. I’m on MacOS 10.15.7 and used the no-install npx method.

Template path bug

I kept getting an error that my template file couldn’t be found. The error showed that yarle was looking for my template deep inside the .npm directory:
'/Users/dsteinbock/.npm/_npx/47104/lib/node_modules/yarle-evernote-to-md/dist/../ds-template.md'

My workaround was to back out of that directory with the following path in my config file: "templateFile": "../../../../../../ds-template.md",

It would be great if it just worked with absolute paths instead. Same for the enex source file, which I had to specify as "/../../test2.enex" - which is just confusing.

Location block bug

When a note has no location metadata attached, yarle outputs the template text when it should just skip outputting location:

---
evernote-notebook: test2
created-at: 2020-03-01T12:10:28-08:00
modified-at: 2020-12-09T13:03:55-08:00
{location-block}location: {location}{end-location-block}
tags: #test #test2
---

Feedback

Please don’t convert the filenames to lowercase. In Obsidian, since we use filenames directly in note text as links, the letter case is meaningful. So converting to lowercase is a loss of data.

5 Likes

Hi @dsteinbock!
Wow, thank you for these great feedbacks, I’ll fix the things you mentioned of course!

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you!

I just submitted these as Issues on your repository for easier tracking: #115, #114, #117.

2 Likes

Dear Akos0215,

I wondered if you could please add a get start note with Yarle for folks like me that are not developers. I was unable to use and set up Yarle.

Many thanks for your help.

Best wishes,
Fernando

1 Like

I read about Obsidian today on Exploding Topics for the first time. I’m a long time Evernote user and as a markdown advocate, I was very excited reading about Obsidian.

Please, could you tell me the current working status of this plugin as I’d be interested in pulling all my stuff into Obsidian and having a look?

Thanks!

Hi @boardtc!

Currently I’m not planning to embed Yarle into Obsidian as a plugin. It is a standalone tool that anyone can use freely, so you can give it a try if you wish: https://github.com/akosbalasko/yarle
If you have any questions or problemns with the tool, you can reach me there in the Issues or in the Discussion page.
See you there!

3 Likes

Hello @akos0215,

I’m trying to run Yarle on Windows 10. I run it with the follwoing command:
npx -p yarle-evernote-to-md@latest yarle --configFile “config.json”
This is in the directory where the config.json lies. To make sure I have everything correct, I tried the config with “.\config.json”, "config.json, and without the “” as well, in case I got the syntax confused. I also tried the full file path.

Every time, I get an error that reads, roughly translated as “the system can’t find the inputed path”.

Can you advise on a possible fix for that?

Hi @Keppler ,

I released a desktop versions of Yarle with a graphical user interface which eliminates configurational, platform-dependent and other commandline problems. i tried to implement a straight-forward solution to configure and use Yarle easier than before. Please give it a try.

cheers,
akos

2 Likes

This is really nice, I will give it a spin.

1 Like
  1. I cannot select more than one .enex file.
  2. It seems that the configuration options are not respected. I have chosen options like use one ressource folder, StandardMD, etc, which seem not to be used.
  3. Most formatting of notes, like basic stuff like bold text, seems to be lost.

Mac OS 10.15.7, YARLE desktop Version 4.0.3.

Log:

config: true
config: “d”
config: “dd”
config: “ddm”
config: “ddmm”
config: “ddm”
config: “dd”
config: “dd.”
config: “dd.m”
config: “dd.mm”
config: “dd.mm.”
config: “dd.mm.2”
config: “dd.mm.”
config: “dd.mm.y”
config: “dd.mm.yy”
config: “dd.mm.yyy”
config: “dd.mm.yyyy”
path: undefined
TypeError: Use delete() to clear values
path: undefined
TypeError: Use delete() to clear values
path: /Users/tre/Desktop/Notebackup/Analyse Ulveliv (1947).enex
Current template is: {title-block}# {title}{end-title-block}

{content-block}{content}{end-content-block}

{created-at-block}Created at {created-at}.{end-created-at-block}
{updated-at-block}Last updated at {updated-at}.{end-updated-at-block}
{source-url-block}Source URL: .{end-source-url-block}

{tags-block}
Tagged:

{tags}

{end-tags-block}

setting paths

Conversion started at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:39 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Converting note “Fra Spejdernes magasin (1960)”…
Conversion finished at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:39 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Note “Fra Spejdernes magasin (1960)” converted successfully in 0.115 seconds.
Notes processed: 1

Conversion started at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:42 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Converting note “Ulveliv: Billedregistrering af bogens kapitler”…
Conversion finished at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:42 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Note “Ulveliv: Billedregistrering af bogens kapitler” converted successfully in 0.165 seconds.
Notes processed: 2

Conversion started at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:42 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Converting note “Analyse af Ulveliv (1947)”…
Conversion finished at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:42 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Note “Analyse af Ulveliv (1947)” converted successfully in 0.096 seconds.
Notes processed: 3

Converting note “Materiel registrering af Ulveliv (1947)”…
Note “Materiel registrering af Ulveliv (1947)” converted successfully in 0.133 seconds.
Notes processed: 4

Converting note “Paw-analyse”…
Note “Paw-analyse” converted successfully in 0.044 seconds.
Notes processed: 5

Conversion started at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:43 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Converting note “Unavngivet”…
Conversion finished at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:43 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Note “Unavngivet” converted successfully in 0.143 seconds.
Notes processed: 6

Conversion started at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:43 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Converting note “Spejderbog: centrale analytiske spørgsmål”…
Conversion finished at Fri Apr 09 2021 11:09:43 GMT+0200 (Centraleuropæisk sommertid)
Note “Spejderbog: centrale analytiske spørgsmål” converted successfully in 0.016 seconds.
Notes processed: 7

Converting note “Omslag Ulveliv (1947)”…
Note “Omslag Ulveliv (1947)” converted successfully in 0.035 seconds.
Notes processed: 8

Converting note “Noter til Ulvelivs indhold”…
Note “Noter til Ulvelivs indhold” converted successfully in 0.008 seconds.
Notes processed: 9

Converting note “Metodologi for bogen som objekt”…
Note “Metodologi for bogen som objekt” converted successfully in 0.017 seconds.
Notes processed: 10

==========================
Conversion finished: 10 succeeded, 0 skipped, 0 failed. Total notes: 10

2 Likes

Also, the app seems to loose settings when closing and reopening.

1 Like

Hi @tokeriis ,

thanks for the tests, i check the issues.

Loosing a config is not a bug, currently the app starts with default settings every time. So keeping the settings is a good feature request :slight_smile:

thank you!

@tokeriis ,

didn’t you miss step 4, to select the output folder? as I see it in the logs, the path is undefined.

I did set the output folder.

ok, thx. it’s strange, I’ll investigate it.