Import from Evernote

Later it worked. Sorry for bothering.

2 Likes

That is very interesting @akos0215 and thank you for making Yarle. I assume you’ve done this yourself, i.e. transform your Evernote notes and now managing them with Obsidian. If you don’t mind, what is the result like?

1 Like

I am trying to get this working and I am not familiar with node but I have followed the instructions. Likely messing something up with the paths but not sure… I made the directory “test” that is in my downloads folder. I tried also puttting the whole path in there as the output directory argument.

I am running the following command:

C:\Users\xxxxxxx\Downloads>npm run start – --enexSource=data_analytics.enex --outputDir=./test --include-metadata --zettelkasten – --skip-latlng plaintext-notes-only --outputFormat=ObsidianMD

Error message includes:

npm ERR! code ENOENT
npm ERR! syscall open
npm ERR! path C:\Users\xxxxxx\Downloads\package.json
npm ERR! errno -4058
npm ERR! enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘C:\Users\xxxxxxx\Downloads\package.json’
npm ERR! enoent This is related to npm not being able to find a file.
npm ERR! enoent

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache_logs\2020-09-26T07_46_00_630Z-debug.log

Hi @sashole ! please invoke the command within the directory where yarle is located, in where you downloaded yarle. Or you may simply search for package.json to see where it is.

1 Like

Sorry, result of what? How i feel comfortable outside from Evernote, in Obsidian? It’s like opening your eyes at the first time. :slight_smile: I moved out because I wanted to try Zettelkasten method, and I found that creating connections in Evernote is not really handy as it is in Obsidian.
Then I created a daemon app that creates index files for my notes’ folders, and keeps them updated if I move a note between different folders. Folder structure functions as a main structure of my notes, and I wanted graph-view to reflect to this structure in a way.
So, I’m out there, then I had to solve the snyc between mobile and desktop, and after a long investigation period I picked Gitjournal for mobile, github as permanent storage, Obsidian for desktop.
Long story short, I love the new system. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Darn, this discussion makes me realize that somehow I forgot to think at all about syncing between phone and laptop (which Evernote does automatically). @akos215 I’m curious why you went with Gitjournal for mobile. I see that this topic also mentions 1Writer, MDNotes, iaWriter and a couple of others. But I’m guessing that your workflow is to use git pull to refresh your local notes – is that right? Kind of a manual way to sync? Also curious why you use folders rather than the more common everything-in-one-bucket approach.

1 Like

Thanks for getting back… I went to the working directory where the .json file was located. I proceeded to get an error. I dont know what I am doing wrong. I ran the command out of the yarle-master directory. Debug log file is attached.

I tried several other apps before choosing GitJournal. Until that, I was using GoogleDrive as permanent storage and Markor as editor (and the automatic sync between my mobile folder and Drive was done by Drivesync). But I really struggled with the sync of Drive folder if there is a conflict, a couple of times my notes were deleted (moved to trash) in Drive because of the misconfiguration of the sync. So mainly I lost my confidence in the system, therefore I picked git as permanent storage, as I’m a developer I use git on a daily basis, so no new stuff appeared in my system, simply I just use what I’ve been already using for years for storing code. The other main feature of git is handling file history in a really efficient way. And that brought GitJournal into the picture, its UI is really handy and has built-in git support.
About the folders. I don’t know, I just realized that I feel myself more confident if I literally ‘move’ a note to somewhere instead of just tagging it. And its main hierarchy just provides a structure for my notes. In this sense - what I’ve seen in Bear - multi-level tags would provide the same feeling probaby. Without that act of ‘move’ something to somewhere.

2 Likes

did you install the dependencies? You can do that by typing ‘npm i’ on that folder where .json is located, and then type ‘npm run build’ to compile that code, finally, you can type the main command of execution.

1 Like

I ran the commands to install the dependencies. and then tried to run
Imgur

Please send me the complete log, it’s location is shown in the bottom of the screenshot. Thank you.

1 Like

thanks for your persistant help.

hmm. I’m not sure, but it may be a platform-dependent problem. What if you try to replace / -s to \ in package.json’s start script’s line?

1 Like

maybe I should give it a try on my mac.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining!

1 Like

@akos0215 Hi! Thank you for your initiative! But I have the problem of converting, it gives me an error. Attaching the log file. What am I doing wrong?2020-10-29T04_24_33_757Z-debug.zip (1.0 KB)

1 Like

Hi @smiling_lion!
Thanks for giving the converter a try. Did you install the dependencies?

1 Like

Yes, sure. All as in the script manual.

Here is the command line log

C:\WINDOWS\system32>d:

D:>cd yarle-master

D:\yarle-master>npm i

up to date, audited 518 packages in 5s

10 vulnerabilities (9 low, 1 critical)

To address issues that do not require attention, run:
npm audit fix

To address all issues (including breaking changes), run:
npm audit fix --force

Run npm audit for details.

D:\yarle-master>npm run build

[email protected] build
tsc --project ./src/tsconfig.json

D:\yarle-master>npm run start – --enexSource=evernote.enex --outputDir=./out --include-metadata --zettelkasten --plaintext-notes-only --outputFormat=ObsidianMD

[email protected] start
node --max-old-space-size=1024 ./dist/dropTheRope.js “–enexSource=evernote.enex” “–outputDir=./out” “–include-metadata” “–zettelkasten” “–plaintext-notes-only” “–outputFormat=ObsidianMD”

D:\yarle-master\node_modules\bindings\bindings.js:135
throw err;
^

Error: Could not locate the bindings file. Tried:
→ D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\build\node_expat.node
→ D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\build\Debug\node_expat.node
→ D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\build\Release\node_expat.node
→ D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\out\Debug\node_expat.node
→ D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\Debug\node_expat.node
→ D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\out\Release\node_expat.node
→ D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\Release\node_expat.node
→ D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\build\default\node_expat.node
→ D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\compiled\15.0.1\win32\x64\node_expat.node
→ D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\addon-build\release\install-root\node_expat.node
→ D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\addon-build\debug\install-root\node_expat.node
→ D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\addon-build\default\install-root\node_expat.node
→ D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\lib\binding\node-v88-win32-x64\node_expat.node
at bindings (D:\yarle-master\node_modules\bindings\bindings.js:126:9)
at Object. (D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\lib\node-expat.js:4:32)
at Module._compile (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1083:30)
at Object.Module._extensions…js (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1112:10)
at Module.load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:948:32)
at Function.Module._load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:789:14)
at Module.require (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:972:19)
at require (node:internal/modules/cjs/helpers:88:18)
at Object. (D:\yarle-master\node_modules\xml-stream\lib\xml-stream.js:2:22)
at Module._compile (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1083:30) {
tries: [
‘D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\build\node_expat.node’,
‘D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\build\Debug\node_expat.node’,
‘D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\build\Release\node_expat.node’,
‘D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\out\Debug\node_expat.node’,
‘D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\Debug\node_expat.node’,
‘D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\out\Release\node_expat.node’,
‘D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\Release\node_expat.node’,
‘D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\build\default\node_expat.node’,
‘D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\compiled\15.0.1\win32\x64\node_expat.node’,
‘D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\addon-build\release\install-root\node_expat.node’,
‘D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\addon-build\debug\install-root\node_expat.node’,
‘D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\addon-build\default\install-root\node_expat.node’,
‘D:\yarle-master\node_modules\node-expat\lib\binding\node-v88-win32-x64\node_expat.node’
]
}
npm ERR! code 1
npm ERR! path D:\yarle-master
npm ERR! command failed
npm ERR! command C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /d /s /c “node --max-old-space-size=1024 ./dist/dropTheRope.js “–enexSource=evernote.enex” “–outputDir=./out” “–include-metadata” “–zettelkasten” “–plaintext-notes-only” “–outputFormat=ObsidianMD””

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! C:\Users\ergol\AppData\Local\npm-cache_logs\2020-10-30T00_01_36_104Z-debug.log

D:\yarle-master>npm run start – --enexSource=GeneralNotes.enex --outputDir=./out --include-metadata --zettelkasten --plaintext-notes-only --outputFormat=ObsidianMDnpm run start – --enexSource=GeneralNotes.enex --outputDir=./out --include-metadata --zettelkasten --plaintext-notes-only --outputFormat=ObsidianMD

Hi - I have the same problem on Mac (OS 10.15.6; Node.js 14.15; Xcode 12.1).

I could share the debug file if helpful.

Thanks
M

Hi!

According to this article: javascript - When I require('node-expat'), throw Error: Could not locate the bindings file - Stack Overflow
It looks like that there was some problem occurred during the installation of node-expat.
As it is suggested in this link, please remove node_modules folder and install the dependencies again by npm i

1 Like