Image attachments in 0.11.1

The idea is that

1. copying into obsidian is a more “consequential” action and we want to reduce the change of it happening by accident
  2. in other OSs, Ctrl-drop is the default action for copy. We would like to use alt-drop on mac but we weren’t able to.

Seems to me this should at least be a setting for Obsidian Sync subscribers. If I’m syncing my data between devices, I want to sync the actual media files - not the link to a file on my desktop. I’m staying on 0.11.0 for now because I don’t want to EVER add just the link.

I totally agree with this - I do a lot of screenshots and I would like to have those images copy straight to the vault, so when I move around to another computer, my images are there (my vaults are sync to Dropbox).

I am disappointed at the change of this direction to make shortcuts the default. It has significantly impacted my workflow.

2 Likes

I think there is some confusion here.
You can move files to obsidian and there are several ways to do it.
Moving stuff using only finder
Drag and drop between finder and file explorer in obsidian
Drag-ctrl-drop between finder and a note in obsidian. (this is the only thing that changed from drag and drop)

Correct, it’s technically possible to drag an image into Obsidian while holding a modifier key and get the expected result - a file embedded into the note and added to the default file location. But it is very easy to think you did this if you’re moving quickly and then you go to access your notes somewhere later and the file is missing because the default is the file link only. Here’s one use case that used to work but now doesn’t on 0.11.1+: GoodNotes – Tapes

BTW, I know that I could put the file in the files folder. I also know that I could set GoodNotes to save to that folder first. But I work with more than one app, and currently Obsidian is the one that isn’t doing what’s expected.

The more consequential action for Sync users is that you think you copied something to Obsidian and it’s just a link.

i’ve noticed that the following has broke as a result of this change.

Obsidian v.0.11.2

Previous workflow:

1. Screenshot image.
  2. Drag from the screenshoot floating thumbnail to obsidian or to yoink (Eternal Storms Software - Yoink for Mac, iPad and iPhone).
  3. done.

Current:

1. Screenshot image.
  2. Drag from screenshot thumbnail broken.
    2a. Screenshot drag from Yoink broken.
  3. Screenshot is copied from desktop.
  4. Drag image from deskop to obsidian.
  5. Ctrl-click to ensure file is saved to vault.
  6. Done.

Sigh … life before the change was a dream. Now … not so much.

Are there plans to make the current change optional in settings?

2 Likes

Yep, exactly. Shelf apps are basically broken with this “feature” added.

Link to bug report:

I would like to note that in MacOS, the default drag and drop behavior from Finder to any other application that can accept the object (file) type being dragged is for the data to be copied to the application, not for a resource link to be made.

I think Obsidian’s behavior would be more understandable and intuitive if:

1. drag-and-drop from Finder would copy the resource to the Obsidian vault (as with the previous behavior).
  2. cmd-drag or ctrl-drag (whatever hotkey you can make work) would change the cursor to a curved “link” arrow (!!) and put in an MD link to the file on the local filesystem. Portability of notes is approximately zero with extra-vault file links.

I had the same issue. And what worked for me is this sequence …

Left click the image to select it first, then hold down the Ctrl key.

Go to Obsidian where you want to drop the image, whilst still holding on to your mouse click and then let go of the mouse click. The screen capture is then copied to the vault.

It gets tedious very quickly if you do a lot of screen captures, as I do.

I’ve tried that and it does not work in Big Sur (11.1). Thanks for the suggestion though.

Strange … I am using Big Sur 11.2.1 too…

We will not go to war over this. We will revert to drag to copy and drag-ctrl to link.

2 Likes

It would be useful to be able to drag and move instead of copying to avoid duplication.

The ctrl modifier does work when copying out of finder, just not with the MacOS screenshot preview feature.

1 Like

Hi there. I would like to say thank you for taking this into consideration and reverting it. This has made a positive impact in the way that I work with images. I appreciate the time and effort that the team puts into this product.

1 Like

Not a hill worth dying on :slight_smile:

Thanks for listening, we really appreciate your good work.

1 Like

Everything works great in 0.11.3 - thanks!