I'm joining Obsidian full-time as CEO

A bit of exciting news. I’m joining Obsidian full-time as CEO! :sparkles:

I have been using Obsidian and developing for it since Silver and Licat first launched in 2020. I can’t overstate how life-changing Obsidian has been for me. It has fundamentally improved the way I think. I want to see what happens if more people gain that superpower.

Silver and Licat aren’t going anywhere, quite the opposite! As I take on this role, Silver and Licat will have more time to do what they do best — building the amazing product and community we all love.

You may know me from Minimal and my contributions to Obsidian 1.0, but I’ve spent about 20 years building companies, and learned a lot along the way. Obsidian is built on strong values. My goal is to create the structure that helps us uphold those values for as long as possible.

Obsidian is, and will continue to be:

• Free for personal use
  • Built on durable, open file formats without lock-in
  • Private, offline-first, and E2E encrypted
  • Endlessly customizable via API/plugins

Above all, Obsidian is 100% user-supported. There are no investors pushing us to compromise on these values.

I believe these strong values are why Obsidian has such a kind and dedicated community. It’s genuinely one of the most generous and friendly places online.

There is nothing I’d rather do than help Obsidian fulfill its potential, and I’m excited to commit myself to it fully :blush:

198 Likes

Congrats @kepano!

And this thread has now been moved to Meta, if anyone has any questions.

You can also find a lot of Q&A on our Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ObsidianMD/comments/10vcxb2/im_joining_obsidian_fulltime_as_ceo/

4 Likes

Holy Cow!

2 Likes

Congratulations!

2 Likes

Congrats!

So cool! Obsidian’s future is bright. Thank you!

the other way round,

i will hope popularity of obsidian attract
investments that make some essential patchs done.

or,

may be we could setup polls in suggestion board.
everyone can donate and proportional decide what to be done next.

something like that.

i have no money but i know money can make something happen (yet something cant be done even with money)

Congrats @kepano from me, too. :slightly_smiling_face:

Perhaps a poll like that would be nice. However:

• It should be curated - i.e. Obsidian personnel should define what feature requests could be voted for, and what not. This way they’ll still have control over the direction of the project.
  • I would not think about it as a rule telling “what to do next”, but rather as a suggestion telling “what most of the active community members would like to have”. Users can provide valuable ideas, and good software makers listen to their users, but users still are not decision makers for developing the product :slightly_smiling_face: .
  • You can already “vote” by liking FR topics on this forum to show your interest. :heart_decoration:
2 Likes

Very cool! Congratulations. I only just saw this

Congrats!

nice post