Ideaverse for Obsidian (formerly the LYT Kit) now available!

Hi Nick,

Sorry if I will disappoint you but I am not impressed with video on YouTube related to Obsidian and LYT Kit. I hear a lot of general discussions or discussion which I am not interested in. I would like to use Obsidian and your approach in managing knowledge base in more practical way. I am working in IT field and there is a challenge to learn new technologies fast and keep it mind or at least to refresh the memory fast.

Can you create an example of knowledge base which will describe something more technical? For instance something from Windows, Google or any computer technology.
Let say describe what is OneDrive and how it is working and what are the limitations.
Or whatever you want to describe which will be the same nature as I mentioned before.

Thanks

Was the page title an intended sarcasm to the ā€œsqueezedā€ space of reading? :wink:

1 Like

I mush be missing something. When I use the link at the top (https://www.linkingyourthinking.com/lyt-kit), Iā€™m taken to a page titled The LYT Kit Mini Course of Fluid Frameworks with a button to Join the Waitlist. But no download anywhere I can see. Appreciate any help!

The download is in the email that follows

Maybe someone else can do that video, I have zero interest.

6 Likes

Sliding Panes works slightly differently online. So maybe itā€™s not best for whatever youā€™re trying to do

Thank you, Nick. I was able to access it with a mobile browser on my phone. Thank you for making this wonderful resource available!

Just a heads up, the website didnā€™t display correctly on my computer (Windows 10). In both cases, the header/footer are large and nothing below the words ā€œThe LYT Kit Mini Course of Fluid Frameworksā€ shows. You canā€™t scroll down to them either). I tried in both Chrome and Edge, and on two different computers, so I thought you might want to be aware.

1 Like

Hi @nickmilo - testing your zip now. Obviously a labor of love.
Help me with one thing ā€“ your LYT vault shows no plugins installed, no theme installed.
(safe mode is still on)
But I see a verical tab header or whatever itā€™s called that says ā€œEverygreen Notesā€, for example, but isnā€™t that only possible with the Andy mode plugin installed? Im on 0.10.6

1 Like

I think it includes a custom CSS
Itā€™s right?

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s a custom CSS @WahWah. It was made before we had plugins available. I would just activate the plugin now because @death.au keeps tweaking it and updating it masterfully.

3 Likes

In the LYT Kit, it talks about MOCs being numbered for Spatial Context, but the MOCs in the kit itself arenā€™t numbered. Why is that?

Youā€™ve caught me in the middle of testing out not using numbers for those 10 MOCs. Why?

Because it led some people to get really caught up thinking they have to number everything.

Iā€™m still debating with myself what is the best way to present the LYT Kit to people new to link-based PKM systems.

Thanks for catching this!

2 Likes

Can anyone help me shape the next version of the LYT Kit (version 5)?

What do you think about getting rid of the numbers for the main maps a person has in their Home note?

Another aspect of PKM in this question is that note titles can have front matter and back matter, just like note content which adds value. Using characters, symbols, emojis, or numbers at the beginning or end of a title is another layer and aspect of a note-making system, much like tags or linksā€”another tool in our note-making utility belt.

Note title front and back matter use, function, and value should be included in the discussions and teachings in the LYT kit as another facet of a PKM system. Yes, using them is an individual choice, part of the personal aspect of PKM. Still, the LYT kit should address this principle regardless of whether the numbering is retained or not. It is a part of a note-making system that folks should understand so they can decide to use or not.

The Home note is my highest level of emergence. The front matter titled numbered MOCs the second level, and the plain back matter titled MOCs with the MOC designation is the third tier. Besides the ordering that the title front matter provides, these note conventions give a visual frame of reference when I interact with a list of note titles in the note list, search results, or file system, even in the graph view to a degree. These levels could be designated in other ways without using title front and back matter, such as tags and work, but you lose the visual references.

The LYT kit should include the concepts of the title front and back matter, much like the ā€œart of link curation.ā€ With the main maps note titles losing their numbers, it may be harder to accomplish.

Why not drop the title back matter identifier of MOC? All the same arguments for removing or keeping the acronym are just as pertinent. The numbering and MOC acronym are unique to the LYT Kit, its creator, and its community. Without them, a vault or a folder of notes looks like an ordinary joyless folder of files. The Mona Lisa without her smile would be just another portrait by some old 15th century Italian guy.

Do not include, a disturbance in the force would be!

4 Likes

I found myself starring content pages for quick reference, which kind of superseded the numbering I started with (and honestly defeats the purpose of the system!). This works reasonably well until I open my vault anywhere else (usually VSCode). Thatā€™s when the numbers come in handy.

Iā€™m scatterbrained by nature, so I like to impose some structure - even if itā€™s only a handful of ā€˜top-levelā€™ MOCs in a flat file system. The added benefit is that when a link isnā€™t clicked for a while it starts to stare me in the face. Iā€™m then forced to dive into it - or remove the number and find something more worthy to replace it with.

Iā€™m still figuring out exactly how I want to use this information Iā€™m gathering. Perhaps when Iā€™m a little farther along my journey (curating as much as or more than collecting) Iā€™ll see the benefit of removing the imposed structure. For now, I hold it like a blankie Iā€™m not quite ready to let go of.

5 Likes

I think my response is related to @Mikeā€™s aboveā€¦ The question is whether the numbers are part of a ā€œmethodology,ā€ or do they function at the ā€œtipā€ level. So, for instance, MOC use is part of the LYT Kit methodology, but hotkey use is a good ā€œtip.ā€ Whatever choice you make, I echo Mikeā€™s point that the principle of numbering (as note title front matter) ought to be addressed within the kit ā€“ with some extent examples.

3 Likes

I found the numbering prefix to be super useful and those codes are even reflected in other parts of my system outside Obsidian.

2 Likes

Iā€™m just getting into this today and learning heaps. Understanding your privacy concerns I think v5 would still benefit from some more timestamped entries to show how you name and tag journal entries meetings etc. just Loren ipsum the text.

3 Likes

Good thinking with using a bunch of lorem ipsum text; Iā€™ll plan on adding this!

1 Like

I donā€™t think it makes a huge difference. Initially the numbers are helpful, but like you say, they could become a habit. Apart from using the sidebar and sorting, they donā€™t make much sense. I would use them maybe yes, for high-level items, but I would not start numbering every noteā€¦

Another thing is the Zettlekasten notes, where the date sometimes is useful, especially formatted like YYYYMMDD, so if I know more or less the year or date, I can filter by typing for example 202104ā€¦

1 Like