I moved my attachments from folder A to folder B, then when I open my note which contains the image or file was in folder A, after I moved them to B, the note unlinks them

I moved my attachments from folder A to folder B, I did it on my mac iCloud folder directly, not in Obsidian.
Then when I open my note which contains the images or files that were in folder A, the note unlinked them, it shows the path that I can see it does not change, it is still in folder A, but actually in folder B.
For example:

20190726.pdf was in fold A (./A/20190726.pdf)

But this pdf was moved to B,

20190726.pdf now should be in B, (./B/20190726.pdf)

What should I do?
If there are only one or two notes, I can use find and replace in the notes, but there are too many notes, I don’t want to do that one by one, may take me hours.

1 Like

How should obsidian know you moved your files?

You have two options now:

1. Move them back to their original folder (folder A). Then, use obsidian itself to move your files - it will automatically update your links.
  2. Use a tool like sed to find and replace all links in your vault.
1 Like

If Obsidian was open and you moved the files within the Obsidian folder structure on the left, it would automatically track the new location.

Solution

1. Close Obsidian
  2. Move files in Operating system folder back to original folder
  3. Open Obsidian
  4. Move files within the Obsidian folder structure to the new location in the vault

If you renamed the files in any way, this won’t work.

1 Like

I know within the app, it works when I move attachments or notes.
But until now, as I know, I need to do that one by one.
If I want to move ten or a hundred notes or attachments to a new folder, it will take me a long time.
I don’t know how to use batch selection to move them. ( If within the app, I want to move these files in batches. I don’t know how to do that. I can select all the files I want, but when I move them, only one note/attachment is moved. Not sure why.)
Thank you if you can help.

The first option, I know it works when I move them within the app.
But until now, as I know, I need to do that one by one.
If I want to move ten or a hundred notes or attachments to a new folder, it will take me a long time.
I don’t figure out how to use batch selection to move them yet. ( If within the app, I want to move these files in batches. I don’t know how to do that. I can select all the files I want, but when I move them, only ONE note/attachment is moved. Not sure why.)
Thank you if you can help.

In case you want to move all of your attachments to folder B, then you can just rename folder A. This, however, does not work if folder B already existed before… In this latter case, you would have to chose option 2… Which OS?

Yes, right.
I use MacBook.
Thanks~

What does that mean? Problem solved or not?

Yes, solved.
Thank you so much!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.