I have a lot of .json conflict files on my .obsidian folder

What I’ve noticed

I sync obsidian between PC-Android with AutoSync app, which takes a GoogleDrive folder (my vault, in this case, of course) and sycs it. So, when I synchronized the vault the last time, I saw a lot of files named as “something (conflict - date).json”, such as conflicts on app, appearence, community plugins, hotkeys and workspace. I’ve noticed no loss of data or settings, that’s why I’m so confused.

Here’s a part of my .obsidian folder, below plugins, snippets and themes folders.
image
Ps: my date system works as DD/MM/YY, I’m brazilian

Things to keep in mind: I’ve never changed settings, themes or any kind of thing directly from my mobile device. I have 3 specific notes that I access just on my phone, and it is sync with no problem, apparently.
So, am I in trouble?

Things I have tried

Nothing special, I tried to search about it and haven’t found anything similar so far.

I don’t think you’re in much trouble.
I’ve seen many of these reports in the past. I seem to remember only .obsidian folder contents were affected.

Make a backup of your vault, just to be safe.
Quit Obsidian.
Then rename the .obsidian folder to .obsidian2 or something.
Open Obsidian. This will give you a fresh start with default (“factory”) settings.
Quit Obsidian again.
Copy the .json files (those that have no ‘conflict’ in filenames) over from .obsidian2 to .obsidian, if you want to retrieve your settings from before (whatever you may want to salvage). Delete .obsidian2.

Look up the internet and this forum (search e.g. .json duplicates to see what other people suffering from similar issues and their helpers were saying) on how better to sync your files.

1 Like

There are plenty of files within .obsidian which are supposed to have different content on mobile and desktop. This could be plugin settings and/or source, various configuration stuff, metadata/cache information, and so on.

I do sync parts of this folder, but in general I’ll let them be there own version on each platform, and think that works just fine.

I have .mobile, .windows and .linux config folders.
Sometimes when I make changes to the whole vault (like alias > aliases and other changes), I relaunch as .obsidian, which makes reindexing much faster, then relaunch again with .mobile. My files were indexed, good. So one can play around with the config folders.
This trick did not work on PC, though (I mean the reindexing started from afresh upon relaunching the second time).

The json flies sometimes I edit in Sublime Text: to stop a misbehaving plugin from being loaded, you delete its id from community-plugins.json, for example.
One can get confidence with one’s own files after a while, but the first time is always scary.

thank you two for helping me! I have a clearer way to go

You do not need to make a fresh start with your entire .obsidian folder.

You can simply delete the conflicted files.

They will likely come back occasionally. Especially if you are using Obsidian at the same time on multiple computers. This happens with other cloud tools like Dropbox. I get conflicted workspace files often in Dropbox. I just delete them and move on.

(Backing up first is great advice for everyone, always!)

Great! That’s what I was going to ask: if this problem can come back some day… Well, it looks simple to solve, at least.
And I’m a backup maniac, so at this point I’m good lol

1 Like

Renaming .obsidian deletes .obsidian, which Obsidian will regenerate if .obsidian was the default config folder set. It will be a completely fresh folder – on the computer/device on which these operations are performed.

Yes, you can delete the conflicted files as well – if the files are easily seen to be surpluses or offending ones – for a trained eye.

These rename exercises will come in handy in the future, though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.