I have a file that freezes Windows

Steps to reproduce

1. Open the file
  2. Try using Obsidian further

Expected result

The note opens and the workflow continues as normal.

Actual result

You cannot open any other note(It may come a little bit later). You can close obsidian. You cannot select anything on the desktop. The system will show you “Microsoft Windows is not responding” window. If you shut down the process, it will reload Windows and after that you can repeat the steps and have the same result

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10 Pro x64
  • Obsidian version: 0.12.15

Additional information

Here’s the file:

GTD.md (56.3 KB)

I can’t reproduce any problems. Can you post a screen recording of this happening with this file (please keep safe mode on and disable any themes)

Thanks

Sorry for recording via phone. Here’s the video. The only thing that is not like I mentioned before is that I can’t shut the windows process down.

what’s your installer version?

Settings>About

Honestly, I have no idea. Try disabling HW acceleration. in settings about.

I think that last dialog says Windows is out of memory. Check if you have any other app hogging memory in the background using Task manager.

I tried to see and it looks like there’s some problem just with obsidian and it’s perfomance. Last time it freezed while indexing my vault(it sometimes redoes it because of the google sync) and it also freezed windows. The GTD file had not been previously opened. Obsidian was taking ~50% of CPU power and there was 86% total CPU max(everything else was below 50%) and still everything got freezed. I also noticed that when I try to open another file after freeze, it shows empty tab and the file name shows No file.

P.S. The tab says «Microsoft WIndows is not responding. It may respond if you wait»

It didn’t help :worried:

Also, everything works fine on android.

Hmm wait, so it has nothing to do with this specific document, something is consuming a lot of CPU there. When you close down Obsidian, is it still running by task manager? If you kill the app via task manager and restart, does the problem go away?

I have the same problem in my laptop. When I open a file (just this file) this freeze my laptop and can’t do anything, keyboard blocks and doesn’t works anymore the computer works again if you force the restart. Did u found a solution? :confused:

Same problem here. Nearly failed my class as it happened twice in the middle of my online exam! I’m trying to reinstall Obsidian to see if it works.

Reinstalling didn’t work, but deleting the trouble file did. It’s one of these if you’re interested.

Revision notes winther exam Essay.md (1.2 KB)
Revision notes winther exam møbius.md (1.6 KB)

works fine for me.

I can’t know. I can’t open the task manager. The task bar shows that obsidian is running. Though the task bar is also freezed. But it looks like it is not running.

Also, the problem happened with another file. Now much smaller in size but it contains a lot of pictures.
Важная инфа к экзамену по физике, которую я не знал.md (1.0 KB)

Sorry, I’ve made a mistake. I can open task manager before opening the files.

If I open Важная инфа к экзамену по физике.md, the CPU goes down to 1-2% And as soon as I close obsidian, the process is also gone. Everything else is freezed.

If I open GTD.md, it is quite the same.

The other files mentioned in this thread doesn’t freeze my laptop.

I have the same issue with two different files. Both have “a lot” of images.
If I open these images one by one to ensure that they are loaded (I’m using Google drive share point) it doesn’t crash windows.
If all the people who has this error is with a file with a lot of images maybe the problem could be that Obsidian doesn’t know what to do to load the image.

I think you have a different issue and your problem is with Google drive. Move you vault out of Google drive and see if it still happens.
Also you need to make sure that the files sorted on Google drive are actually also store locally and not downloaded on demand.