Feature request: wait for all plugins to finish rendering the page before following header links

Note: I moved this from Help to Feature Requests as I think it requires programming to solve. Or maybe it’s a bug?

The Shifty Link Problem

This has been vexing me for a few weeks. At first I thought it was a bug, but I think it’s just a natural part of how Obsidian does things.

I found that for a certain file, my links to headings don’t go to the right place. Or rather, they do for a second then get pushed down out of the way and I have to scroll down to view the heading block.

2022-08-01.17.43.54.CleanShot.Obsidian

I guess I’m sharing it here in case others are wondering why their link to a heading or block gets shifted down out of the way after clicking on it.
But also hoping to find a solution if there might be one.

The root of the problem: dataview is working correctly

Yes you read that right. Because dataview works right, this odd behavior occurs. You see, the linked file has a dataview table in it, which of course gets populated each time the file is opened.
The link points to a file heading which is located below the table in the same file.
When clicking on this link, I get taken to the right spot, then dataview populates the table, and because the table is failry long, the heading gets “pushed down” the page out of sight and I have to scroll down to find it each time.

A proposed solution

If Obsidian would allow all plugins to finish rendering the page before following links into the file, this would not happen. :slight_smile:

Perhaps:

1. Pin the note which contains the link,
  2. click the link twice. The first click open the note in a new pane, the second click jump to the correct position.
1 Like

Clever! :slight_smile:
For my workflow that does not reduce my mouse travels, due to the extra pinning and unpinning and clicking.
But it does perhaps suggest a fix for the “problem” which would be to somehow wait to “follow” a heading link all the way into the document until all plugins have finished rendering in the page.
I wonder if that could be a feature added

I use hotkey cmd+ctrl+p to pin the current active pane(i.e. call the command Toggle Pin) to ease the pain on finding the correct item in the long list of the menu.

And I also submit a bug report with might be related to the issue mentioned in your post:

1 Like

Funny, for me, I have to hit the File explorer: Reveal active file in navigation hotkey twice for it to work properly too

I think this is not related to this issue, perhaps start a new thread around it?

Jumping can be improved but not we the change proposed here.
The pages are rendered ad-hoc for performance reasons. This is not going to change.

1 Like

Great! That’s good to know people are aware of the problem. Is there already a bug or feature request open on it so I can track progress? I’d love to be aware of any proposed approaches or the status of it!
Cheers

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.