I can't figure out how to get out of VIM insert mode on iOS

Things I have tried

What I’m trying to do

I’m sorry if this is a stupid question. I’m a long-time vi user and I’m trying out Obsidian on iOS. Of course the iOS keyboard doesn’t have an escape or control key, and I cannot figure out how to get out of insert mode or remap escape. I’ve looked at the Obsidian help, this forum, and generally online but I don’t see any reference to exiting insert mode on Obsidian iOS. It’s probably something stupid simple that I’m missing. Help very much appreciated.

On iPadOS you can use Cmd+.

But I must admit I have no idea how to do the same on iOS.

Maybe there are 3rd party keyboard that include modifier keys.

Otherwise yeah, I don’t know a way without an external keyboard. And google searches on the topic are incredibly misleading.

(@ldebritto on iPad you can also map the Caps lock key to different modifiers. Escape included. Also Ctrl-[ works as escape in Vim.)

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses! I should be more explicit: it’s iPadOS (I still refer to iPhone & iPad as iOS, old habit). The screen keyboard on iPadOS does have a caps-lock. I’m wondering if I could get that to work, but I don’t know how to remap. I’ve read several VIM methods, but they just generate an error. I’m not surprised, since it’s not really VIM. Do you happen to know how to attempt the key mapping? I just keep thinking there has to be a way, because if we cannot get out of input mode on a stock iPad, it makes VIM mode useless. And I live in Vi / VIM on everything else, so it would be crushing for me if I can’t use it here. Thanks again for all the help!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.