How to read and write at the same time in two panes within obsidian?

i am a newbie with obsidian, but already love it! big thanks to the developers!

however, there is one thing i didn’t figure out on my own so far: I want my text (an imported .pdf or a regular .md-file) to be shown in one window while I simultaneously open a second note in another window to take my reading notes.
I am sure this option exists, but I didn’t find it so far…When i split (vertically or horizontally) i always just get the preview of a note in the one and the final version of the same note in the other window.

edit: window doesn’t seem to be the right term here. what i probably mean are panes

1 Like

Use a different program or a different vault to show in the first window.

I think I misunderstood your question.

If you click within the pane where you want to take notes, it will make that pane active. Opening a new or existing note within that active pane is as easy as clicking on an already existing note from the explorer or creating a new note using the button above the explore or pressing ctrl+n.

One trick that I find helpful once I have established a complex folder hierarchy and I want to create a new note within a certain folder, is to open a note that is already in that folder first, and then creating a new note.

that’s what i did so far. but i don’t find it to be an elegant solution

thank you very much for your reply! maybe i was not so clear with my question if it is mistakable. opening new notes is not my problem. my issue is, that i basically want two active panes! one, that displays an already existing note (either a .pdf or a .md-file) and a second one where i can take notes

Just to make sure, have you tried pressing ctrl+e to toggle preview mode off and entering into edit mode. I have to guess I am missing something. I have never had an issue with having many active panes, assuming that active means that you can actively edit or view the content. I haven’t worked much with PDFs in Obsidian. Maybe that is my disconnect.

yes, preview mode/active mode both work fine. i somehow just don’t manage to have more than one active pane open. obviously that’s the underlying issue here which created my initial question. how can i open a second active pane?

I am still confused. All I can recommend is close all panes by clicking X’s. Then create a new note and split it, which it sounds like you can do. At this point you can switch between them just by clicking on them.

What do you mean by “active”? You can have two notes open in side-by-side panes, but you can only edit one at a time.

i think i have just solved my issue. The note in my second pane was linked to the pane, it seems, and i was not aware of that. thats why i wrote in my initial question that when i split (vertically or horizontally) i always just get the preview of a note in the first and the final version of the same note in the other pane.
now i can open one note in the left pane and open and edit another in the right one, just as i planned to.

thank you guys for your time and responses

2 Likes