How to "push" a block to another note

Sorry for the newbie question!

I’m in the process of comparing Roam vs Obsidian. What I like about Roam is that I can take meeting notes in my daily note. If a block (e.g. a bullet and its sub-bullets) is about topic Foo, I simply link the top-most bullet to page Foo so that the list gets “pushed” to that page from the daily note. When I go to page Foo later, I get to see every meeting notes about topic Foo embedded there, and I can synthesize by typing in page Foo.

I know Obsidian has support for block linking and transclude, but it seems to work in the “pull” mode, i.e. I need to edit page Foo and link to the blocks in all my daily notes to “pull” them to a centralized page. I feel I must be missing something here, or perhaps Obsidian is not optimized for such workflow?

Thank you in advance for any pointers!

4 Likes

As it happens, this is something I’m planning for the Workbench plugin.

Workbench provides a suite of commands for copying bits of whatever you’re looking at into a target note. Currently, you can achieve this “push” workflow by:

• Invoking the Change Workbench command and choosing the destination note; then
  • invoking the link block command to push the block you’re looking at to the provided destination.

I’d like to provide a command that switches the order of the above. When you invoke it, it would ask you to select a destination note, and it would then copy/embed the current block to your chosen destination. One step instead of two.

This isn’t hard to do, I just haven’t had time to do it… yet…

7 Likes

Good to know! Thank you for the reply. I’ll keep an eye out for the update.

1 Like

well, have my upvote for that feature. Would also get us one step closer to do open coding in Obsidian!

Here is the solution

2 Likes