How to get "data:/xx" to not register as a link?

I tried searching this forum and google for an answer, but I’m not exactly sure what the cause of the problem is, so I may not have used the right keywords.

What I’m trying to do

I’m trying to type lines like grafana_data:/var/lib/grafana and data:/etc/influxdb2 for documentation, but for some reason the specific combination of “data”, “:/”, and at least two characters causes the line, starting with “data”, to be recognized as a hyperlink. Nothing that I’ve found except “data” causes this, change it to “dat”, or “xyz”, or anything else I’ve tried and it doesn’t register as a hyperlink, although capitals don’t seem to matter (“DaTa”, “DATA”, “datA” still register).

[Edit: “file” seems to do that same thing as “data”]

Things I have tried

Looked for a way to turn off an individual hyperlink, but found nothing.
Looked for a way to turn off all hyperlinks, but found nothing (also would be an awful solution anyways).
If I change “data” to anything else it goes away (not a solution).
If I enter a character in between “:” and “/” it goes away (using a space is my current solution, but TBH that’s a stupid solution).
I have not installed any plugins at all, this is a fairly fresh install and is not synced with my account.
I may have missed something, but I could not find any relevant settings to change in the options menu.

If there’s a way to turn off automatic registering of hyperlinks altogether that’d be awesome. Markdown has syntax for adding hyperlinks, if I want a link somewhere, I’ll add it, I don’t need obsidian making guesses at what’s a link and what isn’t.

Hi @darkextratoasty

I don’t know if there is a way to turn it off globally, but you can keep individual entries from changing by either using an escape character like I put here after the word data:

data\:/var/lib

Or by surrounding the whole thing with back ticks (character on the same key as the ~). Which is for including inline code:

`data:/var/lib`

Both will probably change the color of the text, but you could fix that with custom CSS if it really bothers you.

2 Likes

Adding the "" worked just fine and didn’t end up changing the color of the text, thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.