How I use Daily Notes

Oh yeah that does the trick, thanks!

but how is :bc considered a word though? And what does that have to do with having a simple space at the end?

Espanso does not recognise words as such, it recognises words by a separator. This separator may be e.g. spaces or commas. So, “bc:”, followed by a space, is recognised as a word.

I think using Daily Notes as a ‘work journal’ is a cool idea. So thanks for the effort put forth in this topic.

I do want to give a warning for those that want to make notes on European people: this kind of logging is probably illegal under GDPR.

That privacy directive explicitly states, amongst other things, that:

• Handling personal data needs a legal basis,
  • The purpose of the data processing needs to be specified explicitly to the people involved (i.e., people need to know you log your conversations with them),
  • Data processing is limited to the purpose explicitly stated,
  • Data need to be stored securely (not plain text Markdown files),
  • People have the right to have their personal data transferred, modified, or deleted when they request so,
  • And people need to give their consent for information processing.

Unfortunately the Daily Notes approach from this thread doesn’t seem to do any of this.

This doesn’t mean the Daily Notes approach cannot work, but I’d urge you to take care and watch out.

Also, if you make notes about customers of the business you work for, you need explicit permission from your company for handling customer data in this way. So that’s also something to keep in mind.

Happy note taking. :slight_smile:

@JkNML Thanks for sharing the details on that. I’ve worked with a British BPO long back and they had strict rules too. We weren’t even allowed pen and paper to take notes inside the working space, only in their official CRM were we allowed to note things down.

While most my clients won’t mind (actually appreciate) my writing down their preferences/choices discussed on a call, you bring up a good point to consider for many especially those who are dealing with customers of a client.

This brings up a bigger argument I think. Does the data collected by a worker/employee manually for convenience/to help with remembering have the same status of privacy as data collected by systems like apps on phone/computer? If I visit a café regularly and the barista there remembers my choice of drink the way I take it even if he notes it down somewhere for regular customers with specific drinks, does it hold the same as an app tracking my searches to find out which drinks I like? I think most people appreciate the difference and would welcome the former even if they oppose the latter very diligently.

But anyways, that’s not the topic of this thread and we must not deviate from the title. I’m still thankful to you for bringing this up and if you should chose to, I welcome further discussion either on Discord or private message.

5 Likes

I use a midnight cron job to create the new day’s note from a template and create links to next/prev day’s notes. @mitzimbj post gives me the idea of copying all - [ ] lines from prev day’s note to new day’s note and add leading !. May need another script to see how many days a task remains undone. While this won’t fix the underlying problem, I will see which jobs I procrastinate more on!

Another thing I haven’t done yet is to remove boilerplate sections (sections that remained empty). These do help me in that they remind me what I should be looking at every day and where to put related stuff.

3 Likes

None of the date expansions will work in Windows 10, as they are written. This is because I use the linux/macOS shell command date which isn’t the same on Windows. If you look in this forum thread Fun with espanso, @chopivy gives an example on how to do it in Windows using Powershell.

This is very close to how I manage my Work vault! My personal one doesn’t include meetings and replaces them with a Gratitude section where I put one positive thing that happened each day + a few other similar tweaks.

One note about this:

Did you consider using a tag rather than a backlink? I use #humans instead of [[Humans]] on people pages, and I was wondering if you had any rationale behind using the internal link rather than the tag. (I didn’t really think this through, so if you didn’t either that’s fine - I just use the tag because it’s prettier than the link and doesn’t end up with one big empty page that so many pages refer to.)

1 Like

What font is this? Its very pretty

Looks like it’s the Red Graphite community theme. Font seems to be Avenir.

Links replace folders in my system, so where I would have a person folder, I have a [[person]] link,

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this @mitzimbj .

It helped me set up my daily notes and gave me a few ideas to add to my usual routine, by combining this with ideas shared in the “fun with espresso” thread.

@lexane : I also use #person with a tag instead of a link. It’s just a personal preference I think. + It keeps the graph cleaner. However, @mitzimbj do you have any use case for using a link or is it just your preferred naming convention ?

2 Likes

I use links in any place that I would have used a folder. For example, in an Evernote organization example, I would have created a People folder and placed all my contacts in it.

Tags can work the same way too.

1 Like

My daily note header generated by Pythons script and trigger by highlighted the notes name and pressing button > it will call Keyboard maestro and trigger script. #MacOs

4 Likes

Interesting! So you store the primary meta-content of the meeting in the daily note, rather than as a discreet file, and then link to a file if there are notes. How does this look in practice? Do you use a particular naming convention for the meeting note files?

2 Likes

I store the metadata in Espanso. When I have a meeting I type :meet and it fills out the meeting template.

Would you mind explaining me how to archive something similar?

Thank you!

May I know your technical skills? All my scripts are done in python. To run them is matter of preference, MAC / WIN have different solutions.

I usually understand reading scripts and have a high success rate on modifying & implementing them in alfred/hazel, shell…

Its like freecliming. If someone is climbing in front of me its easy to keep up :wink:

writing code from scratch I have very little experience

Thanks for sharing this. I also find journaling and context capturing to be hugely helpful for understanding how something played out so that I can learn from it. I’ll definitely be “stealing” some of these ideas. :pray:

Brother, sorry to say, but you need to know python to make something like this work. Just check some tutorials on youtube, maybe you can improve your skill for work! In the script to generate what you see on the picture are many my specific variables and paths. So I cannot share it with you, becouse you cannot read the code and edit it.