How do you handle tasks in Obsidian?

Very interesting thread. I recently switching from Roam to Obsidian and I’m not totally satisfied with my task management flow. I take a lot of meeting notes for work and

This was the reason I found Roam so frictionless for task management: I could mark any block as a TODO item while taking notes (optionally with a #[[to discuss]] or #feedback tag) and know that it’ll surface in another context using queries. In my daily notes template, I’d have a query that shows me all the TODO items for that day:

When I have a one on one meeting with someone, I open their page which has queries for open #[[to discuss]] and #feedback items tagged with their name:

(I also have queries for completed feedback and discussion items which is really useful retrospectively for performance reviews, etc.)

I’m still trying to find a good workflow within Obsidian for this. For now, I’ve resorted to noting TODOs in my document for the person. So, if I want to ask Sandy about the backup report next time we meet, I’ll put it on my page for Sandy:

Obviously, there’s more friction doing it this way. I’d love to be able to replicate my Roam queries on Sandy’s page, which I could do with search if Obsidian supported searching for matches per line rather than an entire document.

I’ve considered writing a script (basically grep Sandy | grep '- [ ]') that would append open tasks to Sandy’s page or create a new document TODO-Sandy document or something like that. Maybe ideally a plugin that shows the “queries” for the active document in the sidebar? One downside to this compared to Roam queries is that the person’s name would have to be on the same line as the TODO (whereas in Roam, as you can see in my first screenshot, the person’s name can be a parent of the TODO) but that’s not the end of the world.

Anyone else dealing with this kind of workflow in Obsidian?

3 Likes

Thanks for the great write-up. If I felt I needed the Todo’s embedded in my notes, I’d probably put them on a separate line as a key-value pair. This makes it much more easily identifiable while minimizing false matches:

/^todo: /

which will give me the list of notes with outstanding Todo’s. As I click on each one, I have the context, and the todo entry is highlighted. If I want just the list of TODOs together, I could do it the way I suggested earlier, or do it externally:

grep -roI ‘^todo: .*’ vault_dir

On a Mac, This will provide a list of note names, which provides context, along with the todo text. If you’re on Windows, you could look into the Windows Subsystem for Linux to have access to the same tools. I suppose a benefit of this method is that I could schedule it on the system to provide that list to me on the screen, and I’d have the list even if Obsidian wasn’t running.

1 Like

@nadavspi thanks for sharing.

Does the current in document search capability solves the problem ?

I am also curious of a similar workflow.

What about something likenoteplan does?

• First the app translates every * into - [ ]
  • Then it seems to scan all files for all open todo tags - [ ]
  • Dates are integrated within the same Todo-Line
    • e.g. <2020-12-15 (has to be done until 2020-12-15)
    • e.g. >2020-12-15 (can be started after 2020-12-15)
    • e.g. -[-] for cancelled todos
    • e.g. -[x] for completed todos

As far as I understand, this could be easily integrated? Couldn’t it?

5 Likes

Interesting ideas. To ease task management I’m considering building a plugin that builds on the ideas of the Workbench, Slated and Review plugins. I’ve described the idea here: Task management plugin (expanding on Workbench / Slated / Review) - comments appreciated!

3 Likes

Here is an alternative request to support filtering by date:

Task-management is one of it’s intended use cases.

The recently released Vantage plugin provides an easy way to create and run or embed advanced search queries. This includes searching for incomplete and completed tasks. It integrates with Natural Language Dates to provide an intuitive way of searching daily notes.

E.g., search for all incomplete tasks from last Sunday to this Sunday, or all tasks mentioning “write” from January.

Plugin release: Vantage - Advanced search builder

5 Likes

This is my approach so far. I just use the search feature to search for my tasks. I use Obsidian to take meeting notes as well. It is useful to quickly note down follow up action items during the meeting and review/triage them later.

I’ve found this plugin to be very useful, it might also fit with your workflow: GitHub - delashum/obsidian-checklist-plugin

5 Likes

One of the other challenges with Obsidian is you can’t tick/mark complete a to-do that’s been surfaced as part of a query. With Roam you can run the query and tick the box all from the same page.

For those of us using Obsidian to take meeting notes etc - it needs a bit more work.

Watching this thread to see what comes of it! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@uzerper , try searching for “- [ ]”

Hey there, I was struck by the exact same issues you are describing here. So I created a plugin:

It is still an early version, but it can:

• track tasks
  • show a list of all tasks from the entire vault (filtered)
  • mark tasks as (un)done from the aggregate list view

See “Obsidian Tasks” on GitHub or the other topic I linked above for more details.

11 Likes

Use Things, ToDoist, Reminders or one of the 2 dozen other apps designed to be task managers?? :thinking: :smirk:

Although I’d love tasks and notes within the same app, I’ve yet to find a single app that did both of those things well. So I’m not against the idea of using two separate apps. That’s especially true because I’ve used Things for years and it meets my needs perfectly.

The problem I’m having is that while Obsidian URLs work in Things, allowing me to easily link to a note from within a task, Obsidian doesn’t seem to recognize Things URLs. So there’s no obvious way to link to a task from within a note.

And without being able to easily jump back and forth between the two apps, even a multiple app workflow is clunky right now.

1 Like

Sure - to be honest in my workflows there just is not a lot of value in linking notes to tasks. I use a task manager to make sure I don’t forget things I need to do. I use a knowledge management system to make sure I can resurface knowledge and as a system to force me to think through ideas instead of just buying into the zeitgeist. Obviously others may have very different needs but I do think folks often get obsessed with making a system work a specific way without asking whether that way actually adds value.

2 Likes

I have a different need, for example. I also keep work’s meeting notes in my vault. At work, tasks often come up during interactions that I am documenting in Obsidian while they are happening. I want to add the task right there and then and not keep a note to add the task to a task app later on. Plus: the task in its context may help me make sense of it later :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Obviously others may have very different needs but I do think folks often get obsessed with making a system work a specific way without asking whether that way actually adds value.

For better or for worse, my notes aren’t always just a knowledge base of information and ideas. Sometimes I’m documenting changes to a website during a phone call or collecting ideas for a marketing campaign during a meeting. And there might be screenshots and links, and files associated with all of this.

As having access to that information when I tackle the task is extremely helpful, my workflow typically involves me linking the tasks to my notes. But is linking back to my tasks absolutely necessary? No. I can simply switch apps and the task I’m working on is usually still in focus. But when I have crazy days with lots of calls, lots of meetings, and lots of requests (like I had today), I find it’s just easier to click a link in the note in front of me and jump right to the task.

1 Like

Schemar this is wonderful. Why isn’t it in the community plugin list?

2 Likes

Thanks! I am still testing and it requires obsidian 12. I will ask for it to be added later. Possibly after v12 is available to everyone :relaxed:

3 Likes

I’m tracking tasks by moving away from the - [ ] construct and tracking actions as entire notes.

Then I’m using metadata in the note to link the action to relevant daily note or meeting note where it is from, person note it is delegated to or due to or waiting for something from, due date attached, etc.

An action note can contain 1…N - [ ] tasks if warranted, but so can a project note, etc.

Then dataview plugin to aggregate everything together. Daily notes have dataview queries that look for all items overdue or due in the next 3 days for example. Person notes have queries that show things like action items due to them, actions delegated to them, things I’m waiting for from them, notes that mention them, etc.

Creating new notes is easy with tools like Keyboard Maestro and Alfred. Ctrl M to create a meeting note that prompts for a title, Ctrl A to create an action, etc. Then just type [[name of meeting note]] in the From:: field and they are immediately tied together.

Even without dataview I think the key is creating that intermediary layer where an entire note represents an action that in turn can contain discrete tasks. It changes everything about task management because then you can use all of the note management features in Obsidian and its plugins to help solve the task management problem.

My approach is VERY similar to the one described by @arminta in her other threads. Easily 80% overlap.

5 Likes

Thank you for the write-up! Could you please elaborate on the section I quoted? I am curious what task management problems specifically you are solving with the intermediate layer.