How do I work with Obsidian on Mobile?

Any Android app that works with Onedrive? From what I have seen I cant see any supported apps yet, but I may have missed one. Thanks

edit - just found QuickEdit works with onedrive, as well as dropbox & google drive.

Can you change default file type from txt to md? Canā€™t find where to do this.

I donā€™t believe ACode has that options. But provokes a decent workaround, actually. A bit cumbersome. But a batch search & replace tool could easily rename all .md to .txt and back when needed.

It would also be cool if Obsidian was configurable to save as .txt file type instead.

Alas, none of this necessary now that Obsidian Mobile is here!!! :slight_smile:

With the Obsidian mobile app, those workarounds are no longer necessary.

The Obsidian mobile app is already available for Insiders, Supporters, and VIPs.
I have upgraded to Supporter just to get early access to the mobile app, but Insiders can get it as well.

I think the app will be released soon for everyone. The development team is great, and itā€™s working really fast (Iā€™m glad I upgraded to a Supporter role).

Before that, I was using iA Writer on my iPad. iA Writer and Obsidian share the same vault in iCloud.

With the mobile app, you need to set a unique vault to Obsidian in iCloud.
Although iA Writer is a fantastic app, I no longer need it.

2 Likes

I wrote a web app that will work on any platform (mobile too), if you use Dropbox for syncing:
https://ryanpcmcquen.org/DrWrite/

Source code:

It is completely client side and is hosted on GitHub pages. It supports Markdown, Org Mode, and plain text.

2 Likes

clicking your link @rpcm, I get a message that says: This app has reached its user limit. Contact the ap developer and ask them to us the Dropbox API App Console to increase their appā€™s user limit.

Sorry about that, I already applied for ā€˜productionā€™ status on the app (which lifts the user limit) a while ago, but I guess Dropboxā€™s approval process is kind of slow!

Can you try one more time? Dropbox has not yet approved the app, but they did allow me to bump the user limit in the meantime. :upside_down_face:

Yes it does now: thank you @rpcm

1 Like

Iā€™m using Taio app with working copy on iOS.

It support [[link]] syntax and click-navigation perfectly. It can see linked by files list and link files list.

And it can edit files in working copy

Itā€™s a free app, unless if you want paid feature.

It support icloud sync now, and will add more sync options in the future.

2 Likes

Thanks for the Taio hint! Since I store my Obsidian database in my Box folder for sync, Iā€™ve just been using the built-in editor in the Box app. Itā€™s not good, but the glorious thing about Obsidian is that it doesnā€™t matter much - as long as I can view and edit text, Iā€™m in. The syncing works like magic and if I ever want to tidy up some hurriedly iOS-entered text itā€™s all there ready next time Iā€™m in front of a computer.

But Taio adds just what Iā€™m after. It still lets me browse my Box folders in the normal iOS manner (ie. it doesnā€™t actually need to know about Box, theyā€™re just files in a folder on the iPad), but now the Obsidian markdown is lightly rendered and the keyboard has handy shortcuts for formatting. The light rendering is nice to edit, and a full HTML rendered view is available too.

Alas, Taio is missingā€¦ a save button! At this stage I still havenā€™t figured out how I can convince Taio to write the changes back to the Box folder, and for Box to start the sync. It seems possible, but I donā€™t know how to make it predictable.

2 Likes

I used Box for storing my vault and syncing across devices until 15 days ago when I upgraded and started using the official app. With that, I had to move my vault to iCloud.

Box worked really really well with my Winodws machine and 1Writer on my mobile devices.

Mmm, Iā€™d hate to have change a significant systems (or worse, manage two systems!) based on a seemingly trivial issue like this. But it may come to that.

Iā€™ve contacted Taio about it, and they say itā€™s all Boxā€™s fault. So Iā€™ve asked about it on the Box forums and am awaiting a reply to figure out next steps.

Alas, after a big run around Iā€™m back where I started - no solution. Taio blame Box and Box blame Taio. At least Taio were willing to provide support. Box just bounced me around before finally saying they canā€™t do anything because a third-party app is involved. Apparently Box are explicitly restricting third party access to files. That seems absurd, given that Box is a file carrier. Itā€™s as if a USB thumb drive had to decide which applications could open files on the drive. Surely you just present a file system to the OS and away you go?

Oh well, looks like Iā€™ve tripped on the smallest hurdle and have to abandon the race.

I suspect that you will be very happy with the mobile app, so at least thereā€™s a light at the end of the tunnel.

Donā€™t I still have to migrate to iCloud to use the mobile app?

Oh, sorry, I didnā€™t realize sticking with Box was important to you. Yes, the only options are iCloud Drive, Obsidian Sync, and git (via Working Copy).

(You should encourage Box to fully adopt Appleā€™s File Provider APIs so that apps like Obsidian can use their services the same way Working Copy/iCloud Drive are designed!)

NOPE!

Now I donā€™t think you can stay with box but Iā€™m using Mobile on iOS devices and syncing manually by dragging my Obsidian vault flder on and off my main computer.

If you donā€™t care about automatic sync you can do it manually via draggin the vault on and off the devices. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing to avoid any cloud services.

1 Like

I think the way I need to do this is:

SYNCTHING between ANDROID-MAC
and then
CRYPTOMATOR between MAC-CLOUD

But everythingā€™s suddenly complex because Cryptomator is a paid app on the phone, which I canā€™t rely on because not all my mobile devices have Google Play. This means Iā€™d need to have another stage on the MAC, rsyncā€™ing from UNENCRYPTED to ENCRYPTED.

The other concern is that markdown files on the phone would surely be vulnerable to other apps reading them. Android has poor controls over what accesses the sdcard storage space and plenty of other apps need access to the sdcard.

2 Likes

Thank you.