How do I work with Obsidian on Mobile?

drafts seems quite powerful, but is rather awkward for me (just to dive in)—Textastic, Pretext & Taio seem more promising for ease of use, but i need to try them out more…

1 Like

Yea. Would be nice if there was a spreadsheet matrix. I still haven’t found an app that works for my setup.

5 Likes

Anyone knows of any iOS Markdown editor that supports the “==text==“ highlight syntax? I’m aware that iA Writer has this but it’s too expensive for me.

1Writer works great but you’ll need to use the ‘mark’ tag directly for highlight. For those who are familiar with 1Writer, feel free to prove me wrong because I prefer to stick with 1Writer if possible.

Looking at Notebooks: MultiMarkdown might be the thing I need but it seems that you need to surround everything with ‘{}’.

Can anyone here help with the Epsilon code suggested above. I inserted the lines and it does turn some of my links into links in Epsilon, but it seems that it looks for the files in the same directory as the main file and Obsidian apperently has placed the files a folder above. I’m sure there is a way to make that work, but I’m too noob to figure it out

Just wanted to mention it, because I haven’t seen it in this topic: if you have a large screen device (for instance a tablet), one possibility is to run Obsidian on a server (on a local network or hosted by an online provider), and use remote desktop technologies like VNC to connect to this server.

I’ve followed this tutorial and I’m using a Raspberry Pi 4 in the local network, where I’ve installed Obsidian (and Nextcloud for synchronizing the notes across my devices). I’m using a VNC client on my Galaxy S6 Tab, which has a large-ish screen. Latency is slightly higher than 300ms, so it’s a bit noticeable to the human mind, but it’s definitely less than a second, making it manageable as a short to medium term solution, for me.

Hope it may inspire some people!

4 Likes

Not this thread, but check out this full post.

VSCode can run in the browser natively. Is it possible to port Obsidian over too?

Pretext in iOS is nice, works well with Google Drive and other providers.

2 Likes

Can it follow/create Wikilinks?

Last I checked, nothing worked with Google Drive. It failed to create new files and threw error.

I had tried with Pretext and Markdown Pro.

I use Syncthing to synchronize Obsidian vaults (or at least an “inbox” folder) and my todo.txt between my Android devices, my Linux laptop, and my Linux desktop.

Syncthing is a proven non-cloud, peer-to-peer syncing tool, which I use since about 6 years to sync ~1.3mio files, without a single failure. I use it for project backups, share/sync with colleagues, auto-transfer photos from my smartphone to a NAS, and general syncing things between smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktops. Like for Obsidian. :slight_smile:

Markor is my tool of choice for Markdown and todo.txt on Android. Since Markor—like most other Markdown editors—doesn’t support Wiki links, I usually store new Obsidian notes in an “inbox” and later edit/refine these using Obsidian on the laptop or desktop.

2 Likes

I tried it a couple of days ago, but I found that it crated a Plist file for each md file in my vault folders, so I uninstalled it.

This app is indeed really great. I’ve purchased a lifetime license right away. Thanks.
Developer is open to suggestions.
Other storage providers like Dropbox and OneDrive are coming.

2 Likes

There is a setting ‘Sync System Files’ which will prevent that when turned off.

@Lanalang You should look into Obsidian preferences and enable relative links. You have to update your old ones, but new ones should work (as they include the path/directory).

Question, how are you using Syncthing to sync notes between Linux and Android? (I wonder how you are handling sync, as the latter has case insensitive file system which would create issues)

And I’d like to try Markor, but I am unable to do so. What i am doing in Android at the moment is adding Obsidian vaults to git, then cloning/pulling from Termux, and then doing sync with Syncthing towards Linux, with this setup though, I am unable to use Markor, as I can’t get it to read files from Termux folder (a system folder).

I currently use a pretty simplistic setup:

• Android folder Documents/Markor synced to Documents/Markor on my Linux devices.
  • Android folder Documents/Inbox synced to an Inbox folder within my Obsidian vault on the Linux machines. (So I can edit the Inbox using Obsidian and then move files out of the Inbox to another place in my vault.)
  • The Android folder Documents is stored on the internal Android filesystem which is case-sensitive, and my smartphone has enough space.
  • Caveat: When using SD Cards on Android, these are often formatted FAT32 or VFAT, and only these are case-insensitive. (My phone, an old OnePlus One, doesn’t have an extra SD card, so I never ran into this problem. I wonder what would happen if one formatted an SD card on Linux with, say, ext4, and then try to use it in Android …)
  • Markor is still far from perfect, but it happened to be the first Markdown editor for Android I really liked, so I stuck with it. (I also use it for a synced shopping list and my todo.txt which in turn is handled by Todour on my Linux machines.)
  • I’ve heard of colleagues using Epsilon Notes instead of Markor on Android, but this needs the paid version to be used effectively.

HTH.

P.S.: Now imagine me dictating into Markor on the phone: »hashtag, hashtag, hashtag, some headline, new paragraph …« Hee hee. :slight_smile: Odd as it sounds, it’s sometimes really useful.

Just because it was not mentioned yet. I am using Ulysses (the app) on my iPhone for editing and viewing my Obsidian notes. I set up an external sync folder in Ulysses where I store my notes. Obsidian uses the same folder as Vault. This folder is synced by iCloud.
This way I don’t have to open Obsidian while writing, but Ulysses will search within my Obsidian notes as well.
I think this only makes sense when already using Ulysses, because it’s seems kinda costly if you do not use it frequently.

An alternative would be iAWriter or 1Writer as already mentioned.

2 Likes

Do you know if it’s possible with android ?

I’ve been multiple hours into an issue and I’ve solved it. To spare others the hassle, hereby my answer to the issue I was having:

• How do I use Obsidian on my Windows PC & can easily view and edit the notes, including the images, on my iPhone.

I had some nifty requirements:

• All attachments (images, videos, pdfs) are in one folder (keeping the folders where notes are clean).
  • Usage of WebDav (not iCloud, Dropbox)
  • Image preview works smootly in iOS app
  • When I move notes around in Obsidian, the links shouldn’t break.

Short answer:
Disable Wikilinks and use Relative Path to file, see image below. Do this in combination with the app 1Writer.

Long answer, based on the list of Brett Terpstra of iPhone apps which support WebDav and suggestions I’ve came across in other places, I’ve tried the below apps, but none worked with the links which are the standard in Obsidian (wikilinks):

• Notes Writer
  • Joplin
  • Paper
  • Drafts
  • Bear
  • Ulysses
  • Working Copy

1Writer also doesn’t work with WikiLinks as images, only when the image is in the same dir as the note. But one of my requirements was that I didn’t want that as folders become quite messy. If you use standard Markdown for all links, this also solves the issue 1Writer has with Piped links. It doesn’t look as neatly when editting, but to me, the major benefit of having access to my Obsidian Vault from my iPhone, is worth it.

If somebody else found another solution, I’m very curious!! :slight_smile:

1 Like