How do I work with Obsidian on Mobile?

Ah, yes, good catch.

To be more precise: NotePlan needs to be open on the Mac to allow “syncing” between Obsidian and NotePlan. NotePlan itself syncs between devices fine. So, you don’t need NotePlan open on a Mac if you’re going to be switching between iPad and iPhone, but you do if you’re switching between NotePlan on iPhone and Obsidian on a Mac.

I’ll add this to the guide, thanks!

1 Like

I use Gitjournal on iPad and iPhone. To sync with git, I use SparkleShare on Mac and PC. SparkleShare doesn’t always sync right away. I make the app icon always visible in the tray. In the event of an error, just click retry.
The main advantage of gitjournal is that it supports backlinks. As well as further support for the obsidian syntax in new releases. In particular, the developer plans to support blocks.
The latest version of GitJournal now supports iCloud in iOS and an external folder on android. This makes it possible not to use git. Also in the latest version of Obsidian it is possible to install the git plugin with synchronization by pressing the hotkey. I highly recommend to look at GitJournal who has not done it yet.

2 Likes

Can I ask a dumb question on the process everyone is working with here, how do you get going with CloudKit? iCloud is fine but it is pretty poor for instant syncing. Unreliable at best.

Gitjournal looks very interesting too, thanks. I’d like to support what’s going on there regardless as a low priced app that’s clearly connecting itself to Obsidian users.

I’m using 1Writer with Dropbox and have been very happy with the results as well.

1 Like

CloudKit requires an app that uses it. There’s no generally-available CloudKit sync service. (See my writeup on NotePlan: Using NotePlan as an Obsidian companion (iPhone and iPad compatibility!)

Thanks, I am indeed exploring your excellent write-up. My misunderstanding was that it was a separate service beyond being supported in certain apps. I didn’t realize it was a developer back end/capability. Thank you for the clarification.

1 Like

I had high hopes for GitJournal and plunked down a few bucks for it, only to find that most features are locked behind a “pro” subscription. Also found a lot of rough edges, glitchy editor, totally nonstandard UI on iOS (it uses an Android framework so basically looks like you’re on Android while in the app). I know the dev is trying but, I hope we can do better than this.

Still looking for a way to access my notes on mobile. I am thinking that the best way until Obsidian launch their native app is going to be just generating HTML from the markdown repo and pushing to a static site / accessing with Safari. Is anyone doing this?

1 Like

1Writer with the Preview button clicked. Then internal links work and todo buttons etc. Great way to adding todos on computer while you work, bring a shopping list or something to the store and check it off while you go.

And do you store your vault in iCloud Drive?

Your question wasn’t directed to me, but…I use both 1Writer and Obsidian connected to a sub-folder in 1Writer’s ‘sandbox’. I point Obsidian to the sun-folder. It works without issue, so far. Usually syncs instantly…usually :wink:. YMMV!

p.s., 1Writer’s Dev updates the app almost as frequently as Obsidian’s.

@Daveb08 Thanks, I just bought 1Writer and am trying it. Looks nice! I see it also supports WebDAV so I may try using that instead of pointing Obsidian at the 1W sandbox, since it’s natively supported by macOS. Anyone doing this?

FYI, I’m not sure how well 1Writer’s use of #tags plays with folders ‘outside’ of iCloud. In case you use them.

I contacted the author of GitJournal on twitter today about Obsidian, and he said:

My rough roadmap for @GitJournalApp is Multi Repo Support (almost done), GitJournal accounts, independent and then spend at least a month on @obsdmd compatibility. Though given that I wanted to complete Accounts and an independent payment mechanism last month, I might reduce its priority.

3 Likes

Anyone considered using obsidian on a linux tablet / phone ? I’d buy a tablet just to use obsidian on mobile honestly or maybe something custom with a raspberry pi

2 Likes

Yes, inject in markor can be used for this.? but there is a caveat.
This way we don’t deal with our old links [[ link | description]] anymore - because it is already converted to Html. So, it becomes just a link, without description. If you use a digital prefix, like 6545565_some_title - you can find your links with regular expressions and replace them with <a href="link">link</a>. If you don’t use such prefix - then you stuck. And in any case description that you give to your link after | is gone.

If you’d like to run Obsidian on a linux tablet, for now you’ll need to buy one with an Intel/amd64 chipset. There isn’t an Obsidian build for ARM/aarch64 yet.

I am using Obsidian on my Mac. I am using Google Drive to sync the notes (md, images, and audio).

I am an iPhone user and I downloaded Google Drive app to view my notes (md, images, audio). Google drive don’t let me view md file and gives unsupported error.

I tried few free markdown ios apps ( Pretext, Blockquote etc.) which failed to open markdown file from File app where Google Drive is available as an option.

I used Safari browser and accessed drive.google.com. I was able to view markdown in preview.

I was able to open the markdown file for editing in Safari browser using Google Drive open with stackeditor option. Stackeditor add some config code in each file which is bothering.

I also found an app called Quick Editor - Text & Code which integrates with Google Drive and let me view and edit single markdown file effectively on iphone.

Remember its not full blown markdown editor which show inline image or link etc. It is an ad supported app. I am satisfied with it as of now. However I like to have a better md app with Google Drive integration.

1 Like

I’m debating whether to buy 1Writer or Notebooks. I see that just two weeks ago, Notebooks released a bunch of updates to the way the app handles internal links:

• Notebooks 10.2 reliably opens linked documents by trying to autocomplete their names if necessary.
  • When clicking a Wiki link (or any other Notebooks internal reference) and the target document does not exist, you can now create a new document and insert a so called backlink (a link back to the referencing document). This makes it easy to create cross references.
  • Pasting notebooks:// links into plain text or Markdown no longer produces broken links.
  • New setting to activate and highlight Wiki Links in plain text already.
  • Options to control how smart Notebooks may be when resolving internal links. In the case that a document with the exact title as given in the link does not exist, Notebooks may look for alternatives containing the link in their title, or even in their contents.

Has anyone tried this? Any insights on how it compares to the way 1Writer handles links?

Oh interesting. I use 1Writer, but I’ve owned Notebooks for a while I’ll give it a shot and let you know if it’s as effective.

1 Like