How do I move the vault to another location?

Whenever I follow the instructions to move my vault to another folder and point obsidian to it, all the settings from that vault are gone. They aren’t carried over. How do I carry over the settings to the new folder?

1 Like

Whenever you do that, make sure you also move/include the .obsidian folder at the root of your vault. That’s where your settings, plugins, themes, snippets, etc. are stored.

More info in the help vault: How Obsidian stores data

1 Like

I’m sorry for my ignorance, but, since the directory .obsidian is invisible, how can I move it to a new folder in order to move my vault? I’m asking it, because, from what I understand, in order to use the mobile app and sync my notes, I’ll need to move my vault to the folder Obsidian inside the iCloud drive. So the directory .obsidian must be moved to that new folder Obsidian too. I don’t know how to do that. I would appreciate any help.

1 Like

From link.

Step-by-step guide

Follow these few steps to show or hide files in the Finder:

1. Open Macintosh HD or the folder where you want to display the hidden files in the Finder.
  2. Hold down the Command, Shift and Period keys: cmd + shift + [.]
  3. The hidden files and folders on your Mac will then appear partially transparent.
  4. You can hide the files again using the same keyboard shortcut.
1 Like

Thank you so much for the instructions! :blush:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.