How do I get content from websites into my notes?

I’ve tested some of the solutions there, but they seem to require too much friction:

1. click on the button,
  2. copy the text,
  3. create a new file manually,
  4. paste the text.

Some of them do download the actual file, but they place it in ~/Downloads and you have to manually move them over.

I’ve created a one-click solution. Simply click on the button in your browser and view the article straight from Obsidian. The setup is a bit tricky, so I’ve created a separate topic for it:

3 Likes

hey everyone! I am one of the developers of Quotebacks… I’ve also experienced some weirdness importing from there into obsidian. I’d be very interested to hear how we can make the workflow with obsidian better - potentially even an integration?

also should mention that quotebacks is now on firefox too

7 Likes

Hey, I love quotebacks and I definitely think we should make sure they work well together. This thread isn’t the best place for that, could you send me a PM (or, better, ping me on the discord if you’re there) and tell me what issues you’re running into? Thanks!

I’ve just discovered Quotebacks via @mediapathic’s post above, and i love the concept and the execution of it.

So, excited to see @mediapathic exploring with you tight integration into Obsidian, that would be awesome.

That said, two feedback items from my initial playing around with it, one small (maybe fixable in the short term), the other larger (maybe will be pre-empted by the prospective integration):

1. A slight formatting change to the copied markdown from a captured quoteback: when i paste the copied markdown into obsidian, only the quote itself gets quote-blocked, the source gets left outside the formatted quote, like this:

Quotebacks is a tool that makes it easy to grab snippets of text from around the web and convert them into embeddable blockquote web components.

Source: Quotebacks by Tom Critchlow and Toby Shorin

Maybe that’s by design, but i would def prefer to include the source inside the block, more like this:

Quotebacks is a tool that makes it easy to grab snippets of text from around the web and convert them into embeddable blockquote web components.

Source: Quotebacks by Tom Critchlow and Toby Shorin

…otherwise the source renders ‘apart’ from the quote more strongly than I’d like. But I recognize this may not be standard practice.

2. For me, the ideal would be to have option to configure Quoteback browser extension so that quotebacks get stored not only to browser local storage, but also as an md file in a configurable folder (e.g., I’d config this to be my Obsidian vault), and leave in the clipboard the wiki-link name of the quoteback note so that I could then just paste into my current working note.

I realize that #2 may require Obsidian to expose some kind of custom url scheme to address insulation of browser from file system. But wanted to share the feedback/desire anyway.

1 Like

Roam-highlighter works on Firefox as well. You just have to download the .xpi file and install it. (https://github.com/GitMurf/roam-highlighter/tree/master/Firefox%20temp%20Add-on)

Here’s a rudimentary Alfred workflow that uses FuckYeahMardown to convert the frontmost Safari tab and copy it to the clipboard.

URL to Markdown.zip (2.2 KB)

1 Like

Is there a tool / extension / plugin to capture a screenshot from a selected region in a website and add the window title and URL to the clipboard?

Gyazo does something like this but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the URL / title data out of the uploaded screenshot page.

1 Like

Which operating system are you on? I could help you with some nifty automation on macOS.

@mediapathic

FYI, Roam Highlighter also works on Firefox.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of the ‘Quoteback’ extension. It takes a very nice clip into it’s own library on your browser. It’s searchable and will export those selections as Markdown, Image, etc.

1 Like

Hi @macedotavares

I’m on macOS and use Safari.

Would be very interested in your workflow and automation ideas on this topic.

Thanks

1 Like

I’ll be glad to help.

I currently use a couple of Alfred workflows to get content and URLs from Safari into Obsidian.

What exactly would you like to accomplish?
Do you use Alfred? Keyboard Maestro?

Cheers!

1 Like

I have Alfred and Keyboard Maestro.

I currently use the web clipper in bear.app to capture a web page with images or the parts of a Web page that I select. This does an excellent job and is literally 1 click and it’s in bear.

I’m looking for something similar for Obsidian.

In the interim would love to try out your workflows if you don’t mind sharing.

2 Likes

I’ll be glad to share my “Obsidian workflow” for Alfred. It’s mostly a collection of dynamic snippets and quick-entry methods.

However, there’s a lot of private stuff I need to clean up and some variables I have to set up for customisation before sharing, so it’ll take a few days.

In the meantime, have you seen my previous reply? It’s very rudimentary, but it may be a good start for a full-blown workflow.

2 Likes

Thanks. I hadn’t seen it but now downloaded and will give it a try

Hi, @PaulWatts

As promised, here’s my Obsidian Utilities Alfred workflow.

This one focuses primarily on my efficiency needs.

If you use Dropbox, you may also be interested in Glass Dome, which is more about future-proofing and archiving of files, images and websites.

3 Likes

Thanks @macedotavares … Much appreciated

You can now!

1 Like

How? Can you share?

For this interested: MarkDownload is now also being developed for Safari. You can already build it if you know how to load it up in Xcode. Works fine here!

2 Likes