Hotlinked Phone Numbers in Preview mode

I’ve grown fond of using both mailto: and tel: links in my documents. I noticed with Obsidian if I use tel:555-555-1212 it will format correctly in edit mode:

CleanShot 2020-06-22 at 11.21.02

But incorrectly in preview mode.

CleanShot 2020-06-22 at 11.21.28

This is probably context recognition on MacOS, but I was wondering if it could be made clickable in preview mode (it does work with command-click in edit mode). Since part of the reasoning of a PKM is to have quick access to important information and be able to act on it, I like the idea of creating a contact card and being able to click on a phone number and have my system dial it for me like it would on a mobile device. Seems a little backwards to have it work in Edit but not Preview, but again that may be the OS interpreting the info instead of Obsidian.

4 Likes

I love using tel: since learning about it from your post. Is there a way to hotlink an address to open up google maps? Thanks

3 Likes

Please try under this form

123-456-7890

Your observation about how tel: links are handled in Obsidian’s preview mode is interesting. Having clickable phone numbers in the preview mode could indeed be a valuable feature, especially for quick access to contact information.

2 Likes

A little late to the game here, but Obsidian MD handles HTML quite nicely

Call this number: <a href="tel:8675309">867-5309</a>
// OR
Call <a href="tel:8675309">this number</a>