Help with understanding my workflow as a methodology vs technical design

Things I have tried

Searched Logseq and outliners but not sure that my workflow is specific to that design

What I’m trying to do

Hello, I have been experimenting with various tools for a couple months and want to bounce what works for me off the community to gain insight.

My main use case is to capture thoughts, ideas, etc and quickly be able to put them somewhere I won’t lose them and reduce the amount of manual moving, clicking, expanding I have to do so that I can reference them in some context, later. The best flow I have found so far is in Logseq, so I will walk through an example.

I start out in my journal with everything and just think of everything in blocks. A common use case I have is a random memory from my childhood. I just jot that down on a single line and then tag it with “memories” and maybe some other context along with that. I don’t have to think about it too much because tags are just pages and blocks, etc. If I click on that tag I then can just scroll and see all the items that relate, expanded on the page and I can filter if needed. It’s silly easy. Another good example is projects that I am thinking about. If I have some time off coming up I can use blocks to brain store out where I am on a project a just tag the parent block with the project name or “projects” and then click on that and find all my past mentions of the same project. This keeps me from repeating mental work so much.

I am trying understand how much of what I am describing is methodology vs technical difference between Logseq and Obsidian. It’s easy for me to think in terms of “blocks,” that I tag, which are pages that I can then use to quickly see all of my blocks in one view. Not sure if this is really because of the “outliner” philosophy or just nuisances in tooling.

So I find myself trying to recreate this in Obsidian but that may not be practical. There is obviously a lot of options with plugins to craft whatever I want but I don’t want to fight the framework too hard for no reason. I am hoping for some insight on if I am just not thinking about something the way Obsidian works that would facilitate such a work flow with some up front work, ie templating. I don’t know that it has to mimic a block style as I don’t really reference blocks in Logseq or move them around. I just like a single idea on a line with some related stuff as child blocks that I can tag/link without thinking too much.

I don’t really want to use both but I may do that. I want to keep it simple but at the same time I can code and I don’t mind spending time up front to make it simple later on.

Thoughts?

Thanks

1 Like

So while putting together a comparison example, I think it may just be a matter of using links vs tags in Obsidian and making sure I am linking each block. I realize tags work different in Obsidian but I was trying to make them work in a similar way and while mixing the two, I think I was not really applying links to all the blocks in Obsidian. Seems pretty much one to one using just links in Obsidian though.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.