Help with Templater Plugin

Does anyone have any experience with Templater Plugin?

It looks super useful but I can’t get it to work.

I have added the plugin, and added a test template {{test}} to a one of my Obsidian templates but when adding my template to a file it just adds “{{test}}”. I have also tried adding it to my daily template, thinking it only works upon file creation, but had the same outcome. I have also tested using one of the default templater templates {{tp_yesterday}} with no luck.

I’m sure I am just missing something.

Thanks.

3 Likes

There are a few things that could be in play:

1. which template are you using? Daily Note needs the override to be toggle on to work
  2. for your custom {{test}} token, what replacement value did you use?
  3. what version of obsidian are you running? Templater had a bug that is now resolved in 0.9.20 and up I believe
1 Like

which template are you using? Daily Note needs the override to be toggle on to work

I just enabled the override and tested it with no luck.

for your custom {{test}} token, what replacement value did you use?

Originally I just had "test" - While writing the OP I copied curl "wttr.in/Paris?format=3" from the github to test that.

what version of obsidian are you running? Templater had a bug that is now resolved in 0.9.20 and up I believe

Currently on 9.22 but I’m likely I was on <9.20 when I originally installed.

I have similar issues. Well, actually the ones I defined myself seem to be working (mainly capitalizing a weekday or a month when it’s not capitalized in the locale). But I tried ones that I understood were supposed to be internal (as in usable when the plugin is installed, like {{tp_title}} and I just get that in the final file. Not sure how it’s supposed to work. I just installed Obsidian last week, so I should have very current installation.

1 Like

Hi, it would be very useful if someone did a youtube vid step by step tutorial. It seems easy to do when you read the instruction but when you dont get the desired result you wonder what you have done wrong…

5 Likes

The same thing happened to me. It took me almost 3 hours to figure out that I was using the default template import from Obsidian (from Ctrl P → Insert Template). We should use the Templater shortcut (in the menu’s sidebar) to add a new template.

2 Likes